will my beer taste funny?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sturdy begger brewers

Reaction score
I have a lemon corriander weis on fiest fermentation due to various reasons i am two days late on switching it to second. Will it be fine or should i expect a change in taste? Also should i keep it in second for the full seven days or five to compensate.

Nothing to worry about. I usually leave my beers in primary for around two weeks with no problems. Many people leave them in primary even longer. If you're going to use a secondary/clearing vessel leave it in there for around two weeks as well.

so why do you do that what does it add as opposed to a week? I havn't switched it yet so i might steal your idea if it has advantages.

its not how long its in primary...its whether its done or not.

ales 'typically' ferment out in a week. lagers take 3+ weeks in primary...on average.

don't worry about 7 days vs 10 days....worry about whether you've reached final gravity or not (i.e. use a hydrometer, not a calendar, to see if your beer is 'done')

beer can easily sit on a yeast cake for over a month with no decline in quality/flavor.

It gives the yeast time to basically clean up after themselves and gives time for more material to settle out of the beer. As for the 2 weeks in secondary, that's pretty much standard procedure.

Did you take any hydrometer readings? If you have an OG and know what your FG is supposed to be it's much easier to tell when it's time to transfer.

wow i guess i was in the dark I am used to just doing a week in each. And my friend broke our hydrometer so we were not taking readings and i thought that hydrometer readings were just for the hell of it but for future reference i should take a reading than keep it fermenting till the specific gravity reaches the original potential?

sturdy begger brewers said:
wow i guess i was in the dark I am used to just doing a week in each. And my friend broke our hydrometer so we were not taking readings and i thought that hydrometer readings were just for the hell of it but for future reference i should take a reading than keep it fermenting till the specific gravity reaches the original potential?

Not the original potential as much as watch the gravity and wait till it stops moving. The potential is the maximum gravity you can get based on the sugars that you started with. It will only be reached under ideal conditions. Take a reading two consecutive days after the beer has stopped visually fermenting (no bubbles). If the reading doesn't move in those two days, you're done.

you can brew without a hydrometer, but its a really really useful tool. it'll help you reproduce recipes in a consistent manner once you find some 'house beers' you always wanna have around.

sturdy begger brewers said:

You really don't have to do a lot of hydrometer readings (like in the middle of fermentation). Just when you think your beer is close (airlock activity slows), take a reading and see where you are at.

I did too!!!:D :mug: :mug: :mug:

Two cannibals sitting around a camp fire eating a clown...one asked "does this taste funny to you?"

Two cannibals sitting around a campfire (eating)...one says "you know I really don't like my brother-in-law"...the other says "then just eat the vegatables"....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back