ways of priming bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I know that you could pour the sugar into the bottles and then fill with beer, but can you pour the beer first and then add sugar? would it mix better?

There always is the option of putting the sugar in the carboy right before you bottle to get "uniform" carbination...

The preferred method is to dissolve the sugar into about a cup of boiling water on the stove, dump into a clean sanitized bottling bucket, then rack your beer on top of that to combine. You can't put sugar into your carboy because you don't want to stir up the sediment to waited so patiently to settle.

In small runs, I've added dry corn sugar to the bottles. If you add sugar to the beer, it will foam over badly as any bit of CO2 in solution uses the sugar as nucleation points and comes out of solution fast.

FishinDave07 said:
I know that you could pour the sugar into the bottles and then fill with beer, but can you pour the beer first and then add sugar? would it mix better?

There always is the option of putting the sugar in the carboy right before you bottle to get "uniform" carbination...

Like Bobby said, the preferred method is to rack your beer to a clean bottling bucket and then add priming sugar. However, you could use priming tabs (which personally I don't think work that great) added directly to the bottle and then fill each bottle as you go. This is a little more of a hassle for full batches, but would be easier for bottling a few bottles at a time.

I definitely feel a bottling bucket, and priming at that point, is a better approach. its more uniform, and way more efficient than measuring sugar into 50 bottles by hand.

Latest posts

Back