Bottling plan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Is this a sound plan? Going to try to use a couple of 5L mini kegs. So I am going to fill 2 mini kegs and use 1tbsp of priming sugar in each. Will put the 1tbsp of dissolved sugar in when the minikeg is half full. Then I will add 1/2 cup of dissolved priming sugur to the bottling bucket and bottle the remainder of the 5 gallon brew.

I don't want to undercarb the bottles, or over carb the minikegs. Midwest recommends the 1tbsp sugar on their web site for minikegs.

Ster said:
Is this a sound plan? Going to try to use a couple of 5L mini kegs. So I am going to fill 2 mini kegs and use 1tbsp of priming sugar in each. Will put the 1tbsp of dissolved sugar in when the minikeg is half full. Then I will add 1/2 cup of dissolved priming sugur to the bottling bucket and bottle the remainder of the 5 gallon brew.

I don't want to undercarb the bottles, or over carb the minikegs. Midwest recommends the 1tbsp sugar on their web site for minikegs.

Not sure on the mini kegs. For the bottles use 4oz of sugar boiled in 2 cups of water.

Going to try to use a couple of 5L mini kegs. So I am going to fill 2 mini kegs and use 1tbsp of priming sugar in each. Then I will add 1/2 cup of dissolved priming sugar to the bottling bucket and bottle the remainder of the 5 gallon brew.

I don't want to undercarb the bottles, or over carb the minikegs.

Not sure on the mini kegs. For the bottles use 4oz of sugar boiled in 2 cups of water.

5 gallons = 19 liters. Put 10 into minikegs will leave 9 liters, or 2.4 gallons. Both 4 ozs or half a cup are too much. You will probably end up with gushers.

I've been under the impression 4oz priming sugar for 5 gallons is the norm. There's actually old threads all over HBT advising the same. Even AHS priming sugar packets are 4oz and say they are enough to prime 5gal. This is wrong?

Good point. Let me do a little math:
5 Gallons = 128 x 5 = 640oz
Kegging two 5L kegs = 2 x 5 x 33.8oz = 338oz kegged
640 - 338 = 302oz bottled
302 / 640 = 47.2% of the 5G brew
If you use 4oz sugar per 5G, now use 47.2% of it:
4 x 0.472 = 1.89 oz
Since I won't fill kegs all the to the top, we will call it an even 2oz of sugar, I.e. a quarter-cup.

Sound good? Math is fun.

I prefer to keep it simple. I mix enough priming sugar for the whole batch in a bottling bucket. I then rack into my 2.5 gallon keg and bottle the rest. I've never had a problem.

Coastie said:
I prefer to keep it simple. I mix enough priming sugar for the whole batch in a bottling bucket. I then rack into my 2.5 gallon keg and bottle the rest. I've never had a problem.

This really does seem like the best and most simple solution.

Problem is, from what I have read, if you use priming sugar for bottles, and keg that beer, it will generate way too much pressure and possibly explode. You are to use MUCH less sugar when kegging.

Midwest suggests only 1tbsp per 5L keg.

Problem is, from what I have read, if you use priming sugar for bottles, and keg that beer, it will generate way too much pressure and possibly explode. You are to use MUCH less sugar when kegging.

I've read that too but after several batches, I have not had a problem. I doubt a keg would explode. They can handle way more pressure than a bottle.

I also prime with honey but I don't think that would make a difference.

I researched it in Joy of Homebrewing. It never said "explode" but that the beer would be too foamy.

Back