Iodaphor in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj_van_gilder

Reaction score
I have had this problem before where I attatch an airlock to my primary fermentor and the cooling action ends up sucking the iodaphor water into it. I am currious if the iodine taste will be permenant or will it disapear over time?

No worries. The little bit of iodophor in your airlock will have no effect on the taste of your beer.

the main reason I use the proceeds of my other hobby. 160 proof bubbler liquid will not contaminate the beer if you get suckback. May even improve the ABV of the final product. Cheap vodka works, too

Yeah I use the cheapest vodka I can find. StarSan would also work if you must have a sanitizer in there. StarSan will dilute the moment it hits the fermenting beer and actually become food for the yeasties.

Thalon said:
Yeah I use the cheapest vodka I can find. StarSan would also work if you must have a sanitizer in there. StarSan will dilute the moment it hits the fermenting beer and actually become food for the yeasties.

I thought StarSan is only active at 120 degrees F +

Back