Bottle conditioning in the refrigerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimvox

Reaction score
Does putting bottles in the fridge slow down the yeast so that it won't carbonate? I put my last batch in the after a week in the closet. Just wondering if I should have left them there for two.

Does putting bottles in the fridge slow down the yeast so that it won't carbonate? I put my last batch in the after a week in the closet. Just wondering if I should have left them there for two.

Yes, ale yeast goes dormant at fridge temperatures. Normally, you leave the bottles at room temperature for at least 2-3 weeks or longer, then put them in the fridge at least 24 hours before drinking.

So if the beer has been in the fridge and it is taken out and left to return to cellar temps, will the yeast rejuvenate, or does this effectively kill the yeast off?

No,the yeast goes dormant. Warm them up in a 70F or better room. Then swirl them around a bit to get the yeast back into suspension for a couple weeks.

Back