Central Arkansas Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hecliff

Reaction score
We are a homebrew club in Little Rock but we have members from Benton to Cabot, Scott to Maumelle. We have been active since about 2003 and have multiple activities a year:

Foam Fest - We provide HB and Serve
Grape, Grains and Growls - We provide HB and Serve
Big Brew Day - We make multiple styles of beer with a single wort
Little Rocktoberfest - We host commercial brewers and provide HB

Our web site is www.centralarkansasfermenters.com and facebook CentralAkansasfermenters for up to date information about meetings/locations/activities.

Dues are $25/year not prorated but you will get that back and more by participating in our activities.

We meet every 2nd Thursday were you will get two tickets for beer and/or food. In July we met at Diamond Bear and was given free yeast as part of the presentation.

So signup to our facebook page and meet others who like to brew, taste brews, talk about brews, compete with your brews.

Hey good to see y'all on here. Was gonna try and make the July meeting and join but couln't make it. Heard about the club from the guys at Fermentables and want to join up. I havent brewed in years until recently and when I did it was just to see how cheap I could make beer. Now am trying to learn to make good beeer. Was stoked to learn about yall. Want to be around and learn from experienced brewers.

Had a great time at LittleRocktoberfest last night! A lot of great craft beers all around but found myself drifting back to the Central Arkansas Fermenters Home brew area. You guys (and gals) did an excellent job, and had some superb beer (and wine)! Looking at "all" the posts in the Arkansas forum, I'm sure this will be like a tree falling in a forest with no one around to hear it, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.......

Had a great time at LittleRocktoberfest last night! A lot of great craft beers all around but found myself drifting back to the Central Arkansas Fermenters Home brew area. You guys (and gals) did an excellent job, and had some superb beer (and wine)! Looking at "all" the posts in the Arkansas forum, I'm sure this will be like a tree falling in a forest with no one around to hear it, but wanted to throw it out there just in case.......

Well one person did anyway. Had a great time at Rocktoberfest myself, sampled an IPA from one of the CAFA brewers that was spectacular, should have asked him more about his recipe but did find out it had Nelson Sauvin in it.

Anyway, I'm in the Conway area and am wanting to get a small homebrew club started so I was going to start a thread about it. It may go as a tree in the forest as well but I can hope!

Hey there! So I'm not a lone wolf after all! Yea, I spent some time talking with several of the guys (and gals) about there brew, but after about the third trip around the circuit, details got a little fuzzy. Good luck with your club. You know many brewers in your area? Oppelo is pretty convenient to either Conway or Russelville. Seems like you should be able to round up enough troops to make a go of it....

Unfortunately I don't know one single homebrewer. I have heard there is a club in Russvegas but can't seem to find much info about it on the internet. Fermentables seems pretty busy whenever I go in there, (I order online mostly), so someone must be brewing somewhere. Are you a CAFA member? Been able to find any good beers around? I lucked out and got a 6 pack of Anchor Steam the other day at a small liquor store of all places!

Your next brew you might think about making the trip to Fermentables and talk to Mike (the owner). He's talked to, and sold to, the majority of people in central Arkansas who's decided to throw yeast in a sugar bath. Since it's painfully obvious HBT, at least for the time being, isn't a big hit for our Arkansas brethren, I'd think Mike is probably your best bet to make some local contacts.
I'm not currently a member of CAF, but have plans to check them out in the near future. As for the beer, great find on the Anchor Steam! I've had it a couple times while traveling in California, and it's definitely worth it's reputation IMO. My own beer finds of late have limited to assorted Diamond Bear offerings and whatever I concoct in my garage.........

Ya I don't have any trouble finding Diamond Bear to tell you the truth. I plan to join CAF myself here pretty soon, whether I find some brewing buds here in the area or not. That Anchor was 13 bucks a 6er, but worth it, especially considering I had entered a Cal Common in a competition a few days before that, and had never actually had the real thing before! I'm sure you've been to Colonial before, they have a great selection? A couple places you probably don't know about are Peti Jean Liquor here in Morrilton, off the first I-40 exit traveling west, and Blackwell Liquor off the Blackwell exit. Both have a fair selection of craft beer, ya know for Arkansas.

I haven't been to Benton in a while, I was born in Hot Springs County and grew up in Grant. I have many memories of fishing in the snake infested Saline as a kid in a flat bottom.

I have many memories of fishing in the snake infested Saline as a kid in a flat bottom.

LOL! Yep, who knows we may have been floating down or wading knee deep in muck at the same time back in the day. I grew up in Benton, moved off, now back where I started......:drunk:

I wasn't trying to say Diamond bear was much of a "find" around these parts, only that I haven't put a lot of effort into looking. To be honest, I was a miller light guy before starting to brew (now its got to be the ONLY thing available for me to pick one up), but now enjoy a broad range of beer I make myself but rarely buy commercial. Of course this puts be in the same situation you were in with your common, in that in many cases I don't have anything to compare my successes or failures to....... maybe a good thing!

Hey, just found this thread. I have been homebrewing extract for a while and just now changing over to All Grain.

Have been a member of CAF in the past, but am not currently. Did you guys join up? I am planning to rejoin.

I'm in Little Rock. You can find good craft brew here in LR if you go to some of the "off the beaten path" stores.

Vino's in LR is a good place to get a growler of very nice brew.

I was thinking of joining this year, but there website is just as active as this thread... (No calendar events listed at all including meetings). I sent them an email about 30min ago. We'll see.........

Agreed with above. No one returns emails. I have been trying to get in with them for over a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Lol! Yea, they did eventually email me back but I was not able to make that next meeting. Just hasn't seemed worth the trouble to dig out the next meeting times/place. Disappointing at best. Maybe one day we'll learn the secret knock and handshake......

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I just want to get in with a group for group grain buys and such. The guys at Fermentables are much more enthusiastic than they are, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You just missed the one of our big doings, Big brew Day on the 5th of May. Our meetings are usually the second Thursday of the month so that makes it on June 12th. The location usually changes so email me at [email protected]. go the www.centralarkansasfermenters.com and get a application sheet. Fill it out and bring that and $25 to this meeting. I should be there but I also teach at night so look for the old fat guy with glasses or Graham Linder, our President. We can get you pointed the right person, our treasurer. Welcome to the club.

Ken

Did you'all get a club going? If so CAF might be interested in having your beer a the next Rocktgoberfest.

Hecliff

We have a club, and a website, though I'd still say we are in the developmental stages. I think that would give those of us who are interested plenty of time to get something brewed and ready!

If I can help, plese let me know. I'm a Certified BJCP Judge and can help with teaching other s to judge.

Hecliff

Back