Founders Reds Rye extract clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
Now that NB is selling Rye LME does anyone have a decent Founders Reds Rye extract clone recipe? The all grain clones I found look like the grain bills are rather complex to convert the extract.

I'm going to brew a Red's Rye extract "clone" tonight on a recipe I put together based on this thread in particular: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/founders-reds-rye-ipa-clone-151489/

It's my first time creating my own recipe (of sorts), so I'm sure there'll be plenty of tweaking involved to get it perfect, but I'll let you know how it turns out! Recipe is below.

Founders Red's Rye Extract "Clone"
(calculations done by iBrewMaster)

Boil Size: 3.5 gal
Batch Size: 5.0 gal
OG: 1.068
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.68%
IBUs: 70.81 (Rager)
SRM: 10.6

Specialty Grains
0.4 lbs Briess Caramel 80L
0.4 lbs Briess Carapils

Malt Extract
9.15 lbs Norther Brewer Rye Malt Syrup

Hops
1 oz Perle (6.5% AA) @ 60min (~25 IBU)
1.5 oz Amarillo (9.3% AA) @ 30min (~30 IBU)
1 oz Amarillo (9.3% AA) @ 15min (~10 IBU)
1.5 oz Amarillo (9.3% AA) @ 0min (~10 IBU)
2 oz Amarillo (9.3% AA) @ dry hop - 4 days

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (1L starter)

Cheers!

Alright, so this has been sitting in primary for 13 days - I'll be racking to secondary tonight after taking a final gravity reading (I took one last Thursday after active fermentation settled down. I hit the target FG almost on the nose, but thanks to a slightly sloppy brew day, I missed the OG by about 0.05 (target was 1.068, actual was ~1.064 when accounting for temperature. Actual reading was closer to 1.061 but it was around 80F when I took that reading.) Woops.

Anyway, I tasted the sample I drew for the first FG reading and it's pretty good if I do say so myself - definitely my most successful batch to date (which isn't saying much, since this is only my third :eek:) The hops really have a nice flavor, though I'm afraid the bitterness might be too low - probably didn't get as much extraction as I'd expected. But hey, that's what recipe tweaking is for! I'll know for sure once I'm sipping the finished product :)

I'll taste the sample I take tonight and see if that extra couple days helped clear it up a bit - it was still pretty yeasty when I took the first reading and I tasted some fruity off-flavors. My hope is that the extra few days in between will have given the yeasties a chance to clean all that up. The plan is to leave it in secondary for about 2 weeks, with 4-5 days of dry hopping with 3oz Amarillo. Bottling will happen on the 7th of February. I'm rushing it a little bit, but I'm going to a wedding in Florida on the 13th and I'm gonna take a couple bottles with me.

My brew buddy and I bottled my Red's Rye "clone" tonight after it sat in primary for roughly 3 1/2 weeks, getting a dry hop of 2oz Amarillo for 6 days. We filled 39x 12oz bottles, 4x 22oz bombers, and had a partial fill, which we drank :) And it was delicious. It had a very nice citrus / floral hop aroma and flavor, with a smooth bitterness that didn't linger. It might be a touch on the sweet side, but I'll know for sure once it's all conditioned and whatnot and I taste the finished product. Far and away the best of my batches yet. I think I'm an official convert to the keep-it-in-primary camp - the yeasties seem to have cleaned up whatever off-flavors may have been produced by the early hot fermentation temps.

My only concern at this point is that my buddy, though his intentions are good, is a rather impatient fellow and has a tendency to act without too much forethought, and he wasn't exactly terribly concerned with my insistence upon sanitation. I decided to use a muslin bag as a filter while racking from the carboy to the bottling bucket to hopefully catch any bigger hop particles, but forgot to put it on the end of the siphon hose before starting the transfer (there was probably a good two gallons of beer in the bottling bucket at this point.) He grabbed the bag out of the sanitizer and went for the hose, so I advised him to either pinch the hose to stop the siphon first or at least make sure he was careful not to let the beer splash too much (I was holding the racking cane steady, or else I would have done it myself :eek:)

So, instead of pulling the hose out of the beer, he just stuck his fingers into the beer and started rummaging around to put the muslin bag on the end of the hose. I was sort of in shock and so I didn't say anything quick enough to stop him ha, but I'm hoping the fact that he dunked his hands into the sanitizer first will have helped prevent some possible contamination.

Other than that it went pretty well, and I've got 2 cases of happy beer conditioning away in the closet. Tasting and final thoughts to hopefully come early next week! :mug:

What was your FG, and temp you fermented at? Too bad about the mishap during bottling, I think we have all done something similar and it usually turns out OK. I like to use a one gallon nylon paint strainer from Lowes to filter my hops while racking, it will keep out alot more than a muslin bag, and is only a buck or so.

FG was 1.016. The first 8-10 hours of fermentation the temps were too high - I'm not entirely sure what they were since I was asleep at that time, but when I checked on it in the morning the fermometer read 72-73 after being in a swamp cooler all night, so I expect it was in the mid-upper 70s when I pitched the yeast. Woops. I quickly got the temps down to 63-64 and kept it steady at that temperature for the rest of fermentation and conditioning in primary.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about contamination - the combo of alcohol content in the beer and the fact that his hands hit the sanitizer first will likely prevent any nasties that got in there from doing much.

I was hoping to get a paint strainer since I've read about so many people using them, but we were under a time constraint and I wasn't able to get to the store. The muslin bag actually caught some material, so I guess it was better than nothing! I'll definitely be getting one for future batches, though.

So I'm thinking of using your recipe for my next brew in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering how it turned out after some time in the bottle?

Back