weird lookn scoby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowhatitdo

Reaction score
This is my first time brewing Kombucha. I am a beer brewer so I used a 2 gallon bucket fermenter and a airlock to insure no unwanted bacteria. After reading some I believe my scoby isn't forming as well because its around 68 degrees in my house. It's been 8 days and all I got is a film on top with co2 bubbles and green veiny looking things. Theyre not furry, but the scoby looks a bit odd. I used plain green tea and 2 cups of table sugar. I hope the only problem is the temperature? I'll take a ph reading tonight. Anyone ever had green veins in their scoby?

I have never had veins, I have never air locked it either, Kombucha unlike beer thrives on wild yeast and leaving it uncovered is normal practice. I ferment at 65-70 because that is how cold my home is living in Alaska in the winter. Ideal temperature should be 70 - 80 F. How thick is your film on top? and what color?

Now that I examined it more, I believe the "veins" are brown dead yeast strains. The film on top is very thin like a crepe. I moved it to my bathroom where it is a bit warmer and wrapped in a towel. I took a ph reading and it was 2.9, so that's a good sign right?

Can you use a brew lock? I am under the assumption Kombucha needs O2 to survive-meaning fine cloth covering as opposed to sealed environment. Plz let me know what happens w/this.

The main purpose in using an air lock is to control the yeast. This however is not important in kombucha because it is more like a Saison wild fermentation. the biggest thing to watch for in kombucha is mold which has more to do with the humidity than the air. Your mushroom creates an air tight seal for the tea but it needs air to grow. Hope this helps.

Ditch the airlock and give it air.

I recently started brewing kt. My advice is leave it alone for as long as you can stand. Minimum 3 weeks when starting from nothing in 75-80 degrees. Longer is even better. Get you a nice, thick scoby before you touch it.

Back