I can't stop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmellthat

Reaction score
Having just joined this board recently, and just started brewing in June, I have come to realize I should have listened to your warnings...this brewing stuff is addicting. Mind you I don't mind, for I love beer, but jeez I didn't think I'd be this into it. My first batch, an Irish red ale, turned out great, just bottled my second a German hefe, will be attempting to brew a pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving this week or so...plus a batch after that for a brew that should be ready between the hefe and the pumpkin ale. It's like I'm being controlled...not that I mind, after all I get me some beer in the end of it all. I guess my question is, or what I am trying to say is, this is normal I assume, right?

You're fine. A lot of guys here tell the same story. I was the same way when I first started. For me, I slowed down after the first initial rush of brewing subsided. Some guys still brew feverishly after years. I still enjoy brewing a lot. I just don't have as much time for it as I did before. You will end up brewing as much or as little as it suits you.

I guess the really scary part of the obsession isn't the constant brewing, it's the shopping. Wait until you start trying to find ways to justify buying a 20 gallon stainless steel conical fermenter. Then you know you're too far gone to be saved.

Haha I knew somebody would post a DIY link. Seriously stay away from that unless you want to be obsessed times 100. The passion is normal, but from my experience with other hobbies it doesn't die away like they do. There's too many types of beer, wine, mead, and cider to attempt. Plus there's the competitions, the books to read, the breweries to visit, the beer fans to talk to...it would take a lifetime to get bored of homebrewing.

resistance was futile. you have been assimilated...
Xorcist.gif

I think I'm in your same boat right now. I've only been brewing for 6 months and I've already gone from a tiny stock pot and plastic bucket to all-grain, kegs, freezers, milling, etc and I'm designing my brew sculpture in Sketch Up.

GEEZ. It's so addicting!

Glad to see I'm not the only one...

-Amanda

Bah can't sleep s might as well respond...I should have payed attention to the warning on not clicking, but I like shiny objects and links that shouldn't be clicked, and well ai clicked it; sure didn't help me to want to stop...which is fine with me. Though I'm not growing a 20 pound fermented, yet, I have a feeling it migrate happen at some point. You guys are rght about the buying of equipment though, haven't build a rig or gone to all grain, but who knows I probably will at some point...and as you said Amanda, it is good to see I am not alone, and that other peope have been assimilated as well.

Now I hope I made some sense for I only got four hours sleep...hope I can get three more before I gotta head to work.

Back