Bottle Time Soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderTime

Reaction score
OK, just racked my first ever gallon of fresh mixed unpasteurized cider to clarify. It was 22 days at 55-60F on a full pack of D-47 and 8oz orange blossom honey + 8oz brown sugar. It seems OK - just like a dry wine with no sweetness. SG is at 1.003. It is very clear, but should I give another week or two to clarify, then bottle or can I bottle now for some carb w/o risk?

At that SG there is no reason you couldn't bottle technically. I wouldn't be in any real hurry. If you feel like after a week it has clarified some more, and you like that, let it clear another few weeks. I don't see any reason not to let it sit several months. My ciders usualy wait that long and taste better.

Bottle it if you need the carboy or want to drink it immediately, otherwise I would just leave it. It's worth it to sacrifice not being able to drink your first batch, then start drinking it when your second one is aging. You have to set up a cycle so that you never run out of cider to drink. I would also recommend getting a couple of special bottles and setting them aside so you can try it a few years from now.

Thanks, I guess I am more anxious than I realized to try it. I will take your advice and let it sit for a few months before bottling. I need to get a real secondary carboy anyway (hmm...another gift idea) to age a second batch in. Already have my recipe ready for a S-04 sweet attempt off apple juice.

Back