AHS Milk Chocolate Stout (Chocolate Stout Question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arover

Reaction score
So I know the AHS Milk Chocolate Stout kit is fairly new, but I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to taste a bottled one yet? I ask because this is my first chocolate stout and, looking at other recipes, I'm noticing that the included 2oz of unsweetened cocoa seems to be very little relative to most recipes. Now, I know if Forrest is around he's going to tell me that the recipes are all very well balanced and I should try them as-is first :mug:, but since I don't do stouts often, I'm trying to achieve that nice present chocolate taste the first time around. I'm thinking about adding another 2-4 oz of cocoa in the secondary, but I'm not too sure; I'm afraid the spices and chocolate might be too overwhelming if I overdo it. Here is the ingredients list as follows:

.5 lb Crystal 60L
2 oz Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
.5 lb De-bittered black
1.25 Pale Ale Malt

+ 1 lb lactose, 4lbs dark dme, 1lbs amber dme

2 oz cocoa, and then spices which include cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg? and of course hops.

What do y'all think?

Once fermentation is complete pull a sample, if you want more chocolate... add more chocolate. You could always split the batch and add more to half and leave half as is.

Had one two weeks ago - picked a 4 pack up in Chicago for only $8. Awesome deal considering the abv.

Got great roast and some raisin notes. Alcohol was there; warming, but not unpleasant. Unlike the namesake, not a lot of chocolate, but still very good. Lots of bitterness - assumed for the fresh batch.

Once some of the hops drop out, I think it will get really good. Like really, really good.

Hey, since I don't really see any replies to this, I brewed this as an extract just before Christmas. The chocolate on it is really subdued, and I get a real hit of clove when I drink it. I don't know how much this had an effect on the taste, but I did notice that a single clove "berry" got past my screening and into the primary for nearly two weeks.

I would brew this again, if the price comes down, I think spec'd out, my cost was around $50.

Back