To Repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
5/6
I brew up a batch of my LHBS Sierra Nevada clone. I was pretty pleased with their Fat Tire Clone last time... so I'm rolling the dice. I get the wort down to pitching temp- and I pitched the bloomed Nottingham into it and sealed her up. a few hours later, fermentation via airlock visuals looked normal.

It's now 5/12, and fermentation has slowed down ALOT. I've noticed it was down for the past 2 days actually. Generally, the brews I've done in the past had significant airlock action for at least a week- this seems to have died off within 48 hours of pitching.

Now, I know the general consensus is "Dont worry about it, it'll be okay", and I feel that way to a certain extent... but if I go to take a gravity reading in 2 weeks and it's not where it belongs... can I repitch new yeast? How would this affect the batch? I still want to bring this to secondary for a good dry hopping for the first time... so I'm a bit concerned.

The only real difference in this batch from my past was using the dry Nottingham yeast, and going against my gut and trying to bloom it before pitch. Figured now was a good a time as any. I didn't smack the pack as I should have I think... yet I added it to some lukewarm/warm water and.. in about 10 min it looked as I think it should... foamy and yeast-ish. Pitched, and off it went.

Thoughts?

Fermentation is probably done. Remember not every fermentation is the same. They may not look or act the same. Even if you put the same batch in two different fermenters, pitch the same yeast, and keep them at the same temp, they may not act the same way.

The only way to know for sure is to use you hydrometer. Airlock activity is not a reliable gauge for fermentation.

I am only on my 4th brew, but the one thing i have learned is

RDWHAHB,

and you will make beer everytime. Maybe not great beer, but beer none the less!

Latest posts

Back