Amarillo hops shortage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard that there is an Amarillo shortage this year? I went to Weekend Brewer and was told their supplier (someone in NC) had a bad crop and Amarillo was really hard to get. They gave me Centennial as a comprable replacement. Is that right?

Hops aren't grown commercially in NC to my knowledge, though there may be a distributor here. I hadn't heard of a shortage, but it seems plausible especially as we get closer to fall when the new crops should start arriving.

According to this chart Cascade & Centennial would both be good substitutes:
http://***********/referenceguide/hops/

when i wanted to brew a hop rod rye clone i had to get them from
beer beer and more beer in california - couldn't find any at the canadian suppliers

Several trends: Dry weather last year made the Amarillo harvest a bit on the short side and this summer is also very dry. More growers have installed drip irrigation systems, which requires reconfiguring the plant spacing & cutting the harvest for a year or two. The style fads in craft brewing are driving some growers into the flabby, but stable arms of BMC.

There are always alternatives.

Thanks for the link to that chart. When I was in Weekend Brewer, we were looking up hop charts in books like Cloned Brews and Amarillo wasn't listed. Bob (or is it Bill?) was out giving a presentation so it took a while to find an answer.

Amarillo is new and trademarked (as is columbus), so it might not be in some newer charts and won't be in anything over 5 years old.

Just keep your eye out for them! They are very popular right now, and for good reason! Once the Fall harvest is in, you might score some.

I bought some from Freshops quite some time ago and used them in some brews. Loved 'em!:rockin: When I ran out, I went back to them to order more, and they were out.:mad: I checked their website every couple of weeks and, after about a month, whadya know - there they were!:ban: I bought 10oz. on the spot!

Back