What process does everyone use when transfering from Carboy to Keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckbeagle

Reaction score
I have heard several processes of getting beer from the Carboy to the Keg.

From just using an autosiphon to using Co2 to force the wort into the keg.

If using the Co2, do you have the keg lid on and force it thru the in or out, or just run it into the open lid onto a blanket of Co2?

Not sure if this question makes any sense as I, but hopefully someone can shed some light on the process. :drunk:

Do just as you said...put a blanket of CO2 in there and use an autosyphon. The liquid will push out the CO2 and the air above it.

When done put the lid on, hit with gas a couple short bursts to purge any air and to seal it.

I use the auto siphon into the keg and then purge the headspace with CO2.

I never had oxidation issues when using a bottling bucket and bottles and I don't let the beer splash going into the keg. I'm not concerned with oxidation into the keg.

I guess I'm still doing it "old school." Racking cane and hose from the primary, or carboy (I let my brew sit for about two weeks in the primary and then go straight to keg). I had a hand held bulb suction but it got trashed trying to siphon gas from the boat last week, don't want to talk about that!!! So, yesterday I had to use my mouth and made sure I cleaned the end up before placing it inside the keg. I make sure that the beer is not splashing around in the keg. Once it gets full, seal it up and hit it with some CO2 a couple of times to purge the air out. Then let it sit for about 3 to 4 weeks and then put it on gas inside the kegerator.

I always rack into the liquid/out dip tube of the keg. That way it fills from the bottom up and its pretty gentle. If I used a carboy I'll use a carboy cap and use co2 to start the flow. If I used a bucket I'll use an autosiphon.

Either case, part of my keg cleaning plays into it. The last step is to put some star san into the keg and flush the keg with co2. Then right before racking into the keg I'll use co2 to push the star san out the liquid/out tube through my racking cane/autosiphon. Once the keg has star san in it I never take the lid off until the keg is empty (unless I'm going to stick some dry hops, oak, etc. in at a later date)

I store kegs with about a cup of starsan, purged, and under pressure. When I am ready to transfer to the keg, I just squirt out the starsan, gently crack the lid, stick the siphon hose in there, and go like heck!

I use a picnic tap, a carboy cap, and a racking cane. My procedure is as follows:
  1. Put the carboy on a table or bench and let settle for 24 hours.
  2. Sanitize the keg and purge it with CO2.
  3. Slide the (sanitized) racking cane into the carboy through the carboy cap.
  4. Slip the mouth of the picnic tap over the racking cane, and lock it open.
  5. Attach a spare "gas in" fitting to the gas post on the keg.
  6. Attach the picnic tap to the "liquid out" post on the keg.
  7. Give a tiny shot of CO2 through the other port on the carboy to start the siphon, then allow to siphon to completion.
  8. Remove the hardware from the keg, pressurize, and wash the junk.

Fast, easy, and requires a minimal amount of cleaning up. You can sometimes skip the empty fitting on the gas post by opening up the release valve on the keg lid, but not all can be locked open.

I have a nifty beer disconnect that has a 3/8" barb on it so after I purge the keg with a little Co2, I run the autosiphon hose to the disconnect and pop the vent on the keg. It fills through the dip tube and under a blanket of co2 that eventually gets pushed out through the vent.

I have a nifty beer disconnect that has a 3/8" barb on it so after I purge the keg with a little Co2, I run the autosiphon hose to the disconnect and pop the vent on the keg. It fills through the dip tube and under a blanket of co2 that eventually gets pushed out through the vent.

Now that is a really good idea! Im gona have to look into setting something like this up because making sure my siphon hose is all the way at the bottom to start the siphon is a pain in my butt.

There was a guy on here (though I can't remember who) who made a similar type of transfer, but instead of using an auto-siphon, he used a carboy cap and a racking cane, and used co2 to actually push the beer from the carboy to the keg rather than siphon. The beauty of that is that both containers could be at the same level on the ground.

my conical fermented sits high enough that I just need to hook hose up to the racking port and put the other end into the bottom of the keg (sanitized of course). Then I just pen the port and let it rip. When I get to the top I close the keg up and purge using co2.

Bobby_M, How about a pic of that nifty disconnect? :mug:

Question...

If I were to hook-up a racking cane and tube to the beer out quick disconnect, and just a few inches of tubing on the gas in disconnect, could you start the transfer with one good suck on the gas in side?

I realise that you would not be able to pre-purge with CO2 but this could be done after...

It's really nothing special. It's a standard beer out disconnect that has a non-removable 3/8" barb on it just like all the 1/4" ones floating around. I got it along with a bunch of kegs at a beverage distributor. I had no idea what I was going to do with it at the time.

I haven't seen one like that anywhere but you could get a flare disconnect and use this FFL fitting: Austin Homebrew Supply

I use 5/16" ID transfer hose anyway.

The bonus there is that you don't have to worry about sanitizing the OUTSIDE of your transfer tubing.

+1

I use the 1/2" AutoSiphon, and the 1/2" tubing fits right over the liquid-out post (with the dip tube and rubber seal on):

IMG_0889.jpg

Why does everyone fill with co2 first. You're hooking up to co2 when you're done anyway right? So why not let it fill for a few seconds, then vent a few times. Instead of the extra step at the beginning?

Why does everyone fill with co2 first. You're hooking up to co2 when you're done anyway right? So why not let it fill for a few seconds, then vent a few times. Instead of the extra step at the beginning?

Really dont "Fill" with CO2 just a few seconds burst . The beer gets racked under a blanket of CO2 no chance of O2 being mixed with the beer.

If my beer is in a carboy I use the auto syphon and just rack into the keg. If its in a conical then I just dump right from the port into the keg hook up the co2 purge a few time and were done

Just precaution for oxidation- many will just purge the head space a few times after transfer. This is safe as well, but doing it before transferring ensures the heavier CO2 creates a blanket over your beer as you fill.

Back