Dunkles Bock Brazos Bock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotcha thanks. I know its a light style. But I can drink more of it than the real thing. Not as rich.

Can someone help me out with the grains you are using.

Seems like every maltster's Munich is a different Lovibond color. Plus, I'm not sure if my homebrew stores carry CaraMunich.

So can you possibly post the Lovibond of the Munich you used (possibly Malt brand if you remember)

And if I can't get CaraMunich is it okay to sub with Crystal.

Thanks!

I'm only a few miles from MoreBeer's showroom, so most of my purchases are in-store with them. MoreBeer's Munich malt is from Weyermann, and is 5-7L.

Oddly, their caramunich is from Briess. It's 60L as opposed to the 80L called for in the recipe.

Caramunich (and caravienne) are both crystal malts, so subbing for Crystal 60L or 80L will be fine. It's only 1/2 a lb, so even if the roasts vary slightly, it shouldn't have that big of an impact.

Post pics!

Would there be any downside to using saflager 34/70?

I have a yeast cake of it in a carboy & would like to reuse it..

I've never actually used the dry lager yeast. Let me know what you think of it in this recipe.

I have only brewed one lager & it was actually a Celebration Ale clone but with a lager yeast.

Obviously not the best way to evaluate a lager yeast but I can say that it was very clean, bright.

I was amazed at how much much separated the malt & hope flavors were. As an ale - the individual components (malt/hops) taste more blurred/mixed. With the lager yeast, it was as if you could taste the malt & hops individually & certainly more pronounced.

I know I will be brewing many more lagers now.

Thanks!

Just popped my first bottle. I do things a little different and bottle first and then lager after the beer has carbonated. This is the beer after carbonating for 3 weeks and a quick chill. I'll lager the rest for as long as I can stand!

I used 34/70 yeast and it turned out great. I'm sure it will crisp up a little with lagering.

My Recipe was

96% German Munich Light
4% Crystal 90L

OG 1.071
FG 1.023
6.3%
IBU 22

This beer will be one that I keep in the pipeline. It will also be great for parties.

Thanks for a good recipe!

Bock.jpg

How does this compare to Shiner Bock? Similar flavor but a lot to little stronger? Or no comparison? Just trying to get a reference point and decide how much to make. Thx

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Not much like Shiner bock, really.

I like Shiner a lot, but it's not really much of a true bock.

Hmmm... I was thinking the same as rdbrett. Just based on the title of the thread I assumed it was going to be a Shiner Bock clone.

So I did this one a while back, It came out clear with great color and tasted like a bock, real clean taste. Only issue is that it fell flat after the sip, no aftertaste at all like water.....Thoughts on why? My hops may have been on the light side % of alpha~

Humm. If the hops were low on alpha acid, it would simply mean the beer was less bitter and more sweet. It shouldn't mute the flavor to water.

What were your OG and FG readings? Did you follow the exact recipe? What yeast did you use and what was your fermentation schedule?

Played with it a little, I have always had a little trouble hitting OG (1.057). I added .5 Caprilis and .5 Bel Pilsner malt and used white labs WLP838. Fermented as stated just on the higher side the first two days. Ended at 1.009.

Hello. I'm new to brewing and have only done 2 home brew kits. I got all of the ingredients for a 5 gal recipe. I have 3 1gal fermintators I can use for a half batch. I understand that I could could just use half of the recipe so I'm not confused when it comes to that. The recipe said to add cereal mash to main mash and threw me way off. Can anybody help please.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1422813749.544952.jpg

Kevin, the cereal mash is the separate pot from your mash tun, using the corn/maize/grits (from the first sentence of your instructions). Corn does not self-convert, and needs to be cooked (to gelatinize the starches), and then mashed with some portion of base malt to convert those starches into extractable sugar.

2.66lbs of corn needs more than 5oz of barley (even 6-row) to fully convert. You'll be ok though because the main point of the cereal mash is to gelatinize the starches... you'll be dumping the whole pot into your main mash tun (where the rest of the grains/water are) after 15 minutes, and the conversion should finish out there.

I copied all of that. Thank you for the help. It's a little confusing at first but I'll follow these instructions and hope for the best. I'll keep you posted after I get it done. Thanks again.

I'm finally doing it now. Hope it works in half of the quantity since I only have 3 carboy 1 gal bottles. Should I cut the water in half?

Forgive the noobnes of my question but.... Is this recipe for a 5 gallon batch?

Few months behind schedule, but I finally cracked out a batch this weekend. Bubbling away now!

When I brewed this the first time, I aged it on bourbon barrel chips, and it was a big hit, though I felt the taste was far too subtle. I am doubling this chips from 2oz to 4oz and will report back on the results.

I gave this an extra kick and increased my malt bill to 11lbs Munich and 3lbs Vienna (my first brew was 9lbs Munich and 3lbs Vienna to match the OP's 12lb grain bill), along with the caramunich. Also adjusted the hops accordingly. Efficiency was pretty good, and I ended up with between 5.5 and 6g of 1.078. This takes me out of the style guidelines for a traditional bock (or a Dunkles Bock, which is what it's been renamed in the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines), but I don't care :)

[Edit] I input my recipe into the Brewer's Friend calculator, and across the board I'm true-to-style green on a doppelbock. Guess I need to rename this variation :)

Let me start by saying I like Shiner and am not trying to knock their product(s).

But Shiner Bock isn't really a bock; it's more like an "amber/dark lager". It's not 100% true to style. For starters, it's not "big" enough (thanks to our silly Texas laws) to be a true bock. Most bocks fall in the 6-7%abv range. Shiner is 4.4%. I should note though, that I usually end up with a "smaller" bock than is typically true to style; I usually have 5.5-6.0% or so and I actually prefer this. I guess I should probably revise the grain bill down a bit in the recipe....

Shiner also uses corn in their grain bill which alters the final product.

So if I was to compare the two, I would say this recipe makes a beer that is:

similar in color to Shiner
about equivalent in bitterness and aroma (little to none)
has a fuller body than Shiner
is "smoother" than Shiner (in comparing the two, the use of corn will really jump out at you)
has more of a caramel, malty flavor to it
I usually carbonate to a lower level than Shiner

But, if your SWMBO likes Shiner, then it's safe to say she will like this beer. This beer isn't quite as sweet/malty as St. Arnold's Bock, but is more so than Shiner Bock.

Are you in B/CS? I haven't brewed in a while (building a new system), but I think I may have a bottle or two of this laying around if you'd like to try it.

I cant agree more...if you have a chance to taste Humperdinks Bock give it a shot. Shiner is fun but your right. its not a bock

Finished right at 1.019, or roughly 7.75% abv. Not too shabby! I let it rest on a couple ounces of bourbon barrel chips for some extra pop, fined with gelatin, and have it lagering in the keg now. Will check back in in a month with the results!

Back