Interest for Sturbridge Homebrew Club?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming later in the week is best, any preference to Thursday or Friday?

Unfortunately I'll be traveling a bit in April, but could do April 9 or 10, which would give us a couple weeks to round up a few more people. Otherwise I can do next week, or the final week of April too.

I'll reach out to Rapscallion once we have a date nailed down to get things coordinated.

In general I am good with either Thursday or Friday. For April last week would work better for me may be able to rearrange plans if you were to do this sooner. BTW.....was checking out your website....that's a whole lot of souring going on. I have yet to attempt a sour but would love to hear more about your experience brewing these.

Alright..let's shoot for Thursday, April 30th. I'll touch base with Rapscallion and we can determine a time as the date nears.

Let's try to gather up a half dozen or so.

oh one other question for you guys in the area....where do you buy your supplies? online or is there a shop you like to go to?

oh one other question for you guys in the area....where do you buy your supplies? online or is there a shop you like to go to?

Closest shop is West Boylston Homebrew or DIY Homebrew Supply in Ludlow.

Therefore, I usually utilize online shops, but still try to support one of the LHBS as often as I can.

I work in Wellesley and will often pickup supplies at Strange Brew in Marlboro on my way home. They frequently have LivingSocialDeals as well ($30 for $15). Have used DIY a few times as well but typically if not using Strange Brew I'll order all my stuff through NorthernBrewer or MoreBeer.

I have a an email list of about a dozen guys from last fall when I tried to get this going. I'll email them with a link to this thread in case anyone from that group is interested.

I may be able to come, need to check with SWMBO to see if she can watch the kids. I've recently moved to Charlton, so I'm closer now!

so just going to throw this out there....think a LHBS would survive in the Sturbridge area?
And I'm good with waiting till the end of April, it will let me get some brewing done so I have something to share and talk about.

so just going to throw this out there....think a LHBS would survive in the Sturbridge area?
And I'm good with waiting till the end of April, it will let me get some brewing done so I have something to share and talk about.

Hard to say. The Sturbridge population definitely supports local businesses, but I feel like you would have to be more competitive with prices than West Boylston or DIY are currently (i.e less margin for you :drunk:). I like to support LHBS's when I can but I also have a homebrew budget.

2 of the local package stores (Yankee Spirits and Ted's in Charlton) tried selling supplies but neither did very well with it. I believe both were supplied by Strange Brew in Marlboro. (I heard that either the owner or someone who works there lives in the Sturbridge area.) If that is the case, maybe they would be interested in delivering product to Rapscallion's for pickup.

Josh lived out in that area, maybe he was hooking those stores up before he moved on.

I think Brian would be more tight about stuff like that without a liason...

Cheers!

Was actually wondering assuming we can get this group together if we may be able to broker bulk wholesale purchases going through Rapscallion. I have been hopping onto some group buys put together a few times annually by Donovan Bailey from Down The Road Brewery. He is able to order wholesale from CountryMaltGroup and has all the pallets delivered to Concord. This is a HUGE savings over purchasing your grain at a LHBS or online. Only downside is still having to drive to Concord for the pickup. If we could get something going ourselves with pickup at Rapscallion that would be awesome. Figure setup in a similar fashion maybe have 2 group buys a year (spring / fall). Think Rap would be open to this??

That's a cool thought. I've been keeping an eye out for group grain buys since I got my mill, but always see them too late.

Was actually wondering assuming we can get this group together if we may be able to broker bulk wholesale purchases going through Rapscallion. I have been hopping onto some group buys put together a few times annually by Donovan Bailey from Down The Road Brewery. He is able to order wholesale from CountryMaltGroup and has all the pallets delivered to Concord. This is a HUGE savings over purchasing your grain at a LHBS or online. Only downside is still having to drive to Concord for the pickup. If we could get something going ourselves with pickup at Rapscallion that would be awesome. Figure setup in a similar fashion maybe have 2 group buys a year (spring / fall). Think Rap would be open to this??

This was my hope exactly. Building a relationship with Rapscallion through some group meetings and pint purchases, I don't see why they wouldn't be interested. It would be a good talking point with the owner when we meet later in the month

brewing 5 different beers in prep for this first meeting! need to start socializing around beer people again

Anyone planning to brew on AHA Big Brew Day in May? The Columbus IPA recipe looked pretty good.....thinking about firing up a 10 Gallon Batch.

so is the 30th still happening?

Definitely! I never heard back from either of the Rapscallion guys, but we can always just head over and grab a few pints...maybe we can chat with them when we are there.

What time is good? I realize most people work, so would 7 or 8 be reasonable?

Sounds good. Let's shoot for 7:30-8ish then.

See you on Thursday.

Hey guys, just to follow-up from our get together, would you like me to touch base with the guy at Kretchman Brewery in Webster? Maybe we can have a few beverages there one night and chat him up a bit.

Just an FYI for you local guys, I was in W. Boylston getting grains and noticed they are hosting a group buy. Decent selection to choose from, and a bag of 2-row is about $45. Not the greatest bargain, but better than the $60 rip-off they usually have for buying a sack.

Hey guys, if you are still looking for a club in the area, me and some friends started Central MA Homebrewers. We meet the 3rd Saturday of the month (tomorrow). Meetings are at Bentley Brewing in Southbridge at 6:30 although this months meeting got moved to the pavilion at Westville Dam. We'd love for everyone to check it out.

Marty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/centralmahomebrewers/

Back