Bottle Sparkling Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
Anyone bottle their sparkling wine ? Either in champagne bottles with a champagne corker and corks ? Or swing top bottles ? I am making some sparkling varieties right now in some 2 liters and want to be able to keep the carb on them for a while before drinking them. I am really new at carbing. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to not end up with bottle bombs.

champagne style or only lightly carbed?

Most champagne bottles accept a crown cap, but I don't recall what size they need.

It will be some lightly carbed and then some stronger more traditional fizzy champagne. Just looking to find out how to save it in bottles instead of having to drink it all once done.

I like to bottle some in the traditional champagne bottles with the plastic "corks" and wires because of the thrill of popping the top and having it fly in the air. I also like to bottle some in small bottles (I have some old 8-oz green pop bottles that work well). These "minis" are real popular with some of my friends. You just cap them with crown caps and they will keep their fizz forever, I guess. Perfect size for individual servings.

I do. I have the Super Colonna Capper/Corker, and bottle most of my sparkling stuff in typical 750ml champagne bottles with champagne corks and wire cages.

It will be some lightly carbed and then some stronger more traditional fizzy champagne. Just looking to find out how to save it in bottles instead of having to drink it all once done.

The easiest answer with the best results is simply to use smaller bottles. If you often have around half of a wine bottle left over, consider bottling in beer bottles.

I like Belgian bottles (be they corked or capped) for this, but the tall and slender 500ml bottles typically used for Bavarian hefeweizens are probably my favorite. Not only is 500ml (IME) a nice volume to use for wines, but the bottles are brown (which filters out much more UV light than most other colors), and are much stronger than average beer bottles (because they need to be - it's not uncommon for hefes to be carbed in the range of 4 to 5 volumes).

All of these features make them a fantastic option for sparkling wine, IMO. Hacker-Pschorr has even switched to flip-tops in the last couple years here. Heavy-duty brown 500ml flip-top bottles! If the flip

Back