Didn't use rubber stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelkashowz

Reaction score
This might sound crazy, but I didn't use (directions didn't indicate to use one) a rubber stopper for my batch... the bung and airlock were resting on top of the glass carboy... has anyone else made this mistake? If so, what should I expect the results to be?? I bottled the beer 3 days ago and realized my mistake once I went into a home brew store tonight to get my second kit.

Any input would be great.

kelkashowz said:
This might sound crazy, but I didn't use (directions didn't indicate to use one) a rubber stopper for my batch... the bung and airlock were resting on top of the glass carboy... has anyone else made this mistake? If so, what should I expect the results to be?? I bottled the beer 3 days ago and realized my mistake once I went into a home brew store tonight to get my second kit.

Any input would be great.

Did you taste your beer before bottling? Did it taste bad? Also how long did you not have a stopper?

I wouldt really worry to much.

I didn't taste the beer before bottling, I have yet to taste it.

The entire time the beer was in the glass carboy it had no stopper. Just bought one and also found the one that came with my kit... so now I have two and will definitely put one of them to for batch #2.

It was my first batch so I expected some mistakes... just a little disappointed I missed such an easy part of the process!

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

One other question... should the beer be in a luke warm place now that it's bottled, or in a cool place? It's a dark beer (not sure if that matters).

Well if your beer did notblook funky you should be alright. Its always good to taste as you go.

As for your beer darker beers take a wile longer tp mature. And yes keep at room temp (70-75) perferably. Also keep your beer for at least 3 weeks before you drink it. ( you can drink whenver you want if YOU want too). Sense its a darker beer it'll taste better aged a bit longer.

My forst beer was a porter, ehen it was done it was so bitter! After it sat about 6 weeks it really started tasting good, now at 3 months there great. Even on my first batch i did not use sanatizer (didt know i had too) i just OCD with the "no rinse cleaner" that came with the kit. I have no enfections on that batch, but maybe a bit of off flavor (maybe why it was so bitter).

Hope this helps! Prost! :).

P.s. You just sat your airlock ontop of your carboy?

Hard to tell what it will be like.
There are lots of possibilities for infection, wild yeast or other contaminants. But there is a chance it's fine.
Only time will tell now.

One rule to remember ( other than put the stopper and airlock on ) is that you taste the beer from time to time in the process.
I take a hydrometer reading, I taste the beer. I rack to another container like your bottling bucket, I taste the beer.

There isn't any real advantage to taking a taste other than maybe encouraging you a bit but if you take a sample to check the gravity for example, you aren't going to put it back in, you don't want to dump it, it's beer. Drink it!

I had to try it... it's really clean and seems to have the slightest amount of carbonation (it's been bottled for 3 days), really nice flavour. Maybe it's ok?

If it tastes good now, it will improve and I leave off the airlock for several days when using a carboy. I just put a Starsan soaked paper rag (Lowes type). We call this a Dave Rag (after my brew buddy's brother who gave use the suggestion). I never put an airlock on a yeast starter and just use a DAVE RAG. You have to remember that once fermentation starts, the CO2 is going out so unlikely for much to get in anyway. It is a good idea to keep it covered however and to Sanitize, Sanitize, Sanitize!

The small glass and plastic device (that you half fill with water) sat in the whole at the top of the carboy, without the stopper. This is my first batch.

kelkashowz said:
The small glass and plastic device (that you half fill with water) sat in the whole at the top of the carboy, without the stopper. This is my first batch.

Well that certainly would have let it breath well!

I was having a hard time picturing it also, and an airlock in your bung didn't create a pretty picture.

The purpose of the airlock is to let gasses escape while excluding unwanted items from falling into your fermenter. Once fermentation has started there will be gasses coming out that will preclude bacteria from entering and once your beer has completed the fermentation, there will be enough alcohol to retard any bacteria too. Beer can be fermented in open containers without much worries so you should have no worries at all.

RM-MN said:
The purpose of the airlock is to let gasses escape while excluding unwanted items from falling into your fermenter. Once fermentation has started there will be gasses coming out that will preclude bacteria from entering and once your beer has completed the fermentation, there will be enough alcohol to retard any bacteria too. Beer can be fermented in open containers without much worries so you should have no worries at all.

Yup I agree! Like I said vefore I wouldt worry to much. But try and bot let that misyake happen again. :)

I gotta admit, my first batch had the airlock installed, but no water or sanitizer in the airlock, which defeats the purpose of the airlock. I was wondering why there were no bubbles!! DUH!!

I still cannot picture what was used.

OP says glass on glass contact? Airlock and bung? No rubber stopper. And that the airlock was used by itself? Without using a drilled stopper/bung my airlocks would just drop into the wort through the neck of my Better Bottles.

If the opening was covered so that dust etc could not fall into the wort your beer will be fine. There is enough co2 produced to stop any o2 from oxidizing the beer and keep microbes out.

I still cannot picture what was used.

OP says glass on glass contact? Airlock and bung? No rubber stopper. And that the airlock was used by itself? Without using a drilled stopper/bung my airlocks would just drop into the wort through the neck of my Better Bottles.

If the opening was covered so that dust etc could not fall into the wort your beer will be fine. There is enough co2 produced to stop any o2 from oxidizing the beer and keep microbes out.

My airlock was able to sit just inside the top of the glass carboy, so there was a seal, just not airtight such as what I would have had if I used the rubber stopper. I will add a picture if possible in a future post so people can see what I mean. Essentially, the opening in the carboy that I have is small enough that the airlock didn't fall into the carboy, but large enough so that it could sit just on the inside lip of the top of it.

I did crack one beer from this batch the other day (3 days in) to see if my batch was messed up, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it tasted that early into being bottled!

I've been trying to picture, what you did, and I think I get it now.
A 3 piece airlock sitting on top of the carboy?
So even though it wasn't sealed the carboy opening was still covered by the airlock?
I think you'll be fine.

Back