Anyone have Kombucha show up on your Blood Work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
A While back I did my yearly physical which showed slightly elevated liver activity (don't ask me for specifics - I'm just repeating), which my doctor insisted wasn't linked to alcohol, but was something he wanted follow up testing on, over and over. Anyways, After the second test, even more slightly higher activity, I mentioned kombucha, and he asked me to drop it for the next test so we could rule it out.

Anyways, the activity was slightly increasing for the first two test, and most recently the third test showed decreasing activity after not having had any for months. I have a follow up test in a month or so, but I was wondering if anyone else had had a similar experience.

Of course my DR isn't trained to know anything about Herbal stuff so he can't tell me if this is a normal reaction to kombucha, only that something is off and he wants to keep looking until he solves it or it resolves on it's own.

I'm thinking if I'm 'back to Normal' in the future, I might try kombucha again as it seems obvious that my liver was stimulated and that the levels were no where near harmful. After I confirm with the Doc....

Hm well I don't have a clue, other than to say that conventional 'doctoretrics' has many flaws built into it for a variety of reasons. One point to note is the liver is major detoxification organ in the body, and responsible for many other processes. So if increased liver activity is due to kombucha, who is to necessarily say this is a bad thing?

I haven't had that experience but kombucha does have some alcohol (small amount like less than 1%) in it and is filled with a bunch of yeast and bacteria so it's probably elevated from that. They don't really know what it does to you from what I understand but elevated liver stuff (as mentioned by porcupine) wouldn't seem that unusual...

Do you have these same tests with data BEFORE you even started kombucha consumption, as a baseline? Wondering if your liver has an issue metabolizing some specific components of kombucha tea or are there any medications(CDC says medications for hypertension, renal (kidney) problems, and hormone replacement medications have been known to react to kombucha but when k-bucha ingestion is stopped the side effects halt and every person returned to baseline), herbals, vitamins/supplements that can be the root cause (Omega-3 is a big trigger for many people)?

Interesting article about impact of kombucha on your liver: http://www.livestrong.com/article/354611-information-on-the-benefits-of-kombucha/

CDC report about negative impact from kombucha, circa 1995: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00039742.htm

Found a discussion from way back in 2007, so of course cannot speak to if any of the information actually applies today:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0

I think it would be beneficial to speak with someone who understands kombucha and the way it works. The person that comes to mind is Ed Kasper of The Happy Herbalist. Here is the link to some of his kombucha info http://www.happyherbalist.com/analysis_of_kombucha.htm, but then again if it were me Ed would be the man I consulted with and then speak to my MD. I know Ed is very involved with keeping kombucha alive and legal, plus he is well known within the kombucha community. Ed even says: "The American FDA and CDC has investigated all reports of health concerns and has found kombucha tea to be safe." ---> perhaps need to visit the CDC and US FDA website and do some research about kombucha and its recent stance with these organizations.

I personally have had no negative issues since starting to consume kombucha more than three years ago, labs are fine and in fact in the winter we had to add blood pressure medications (just added the THIRD med on 10/1---big sigh, sad face) and we monitor my liver enzymes quarterly and no change from my baseline 20 years ago. And I am a kombucha, water kefir, milk kefir, homemade yogurt and sourdough addict...but all in moderation.

Best of luck in figuring this puzzle out...and congrats for seeing your MD on a routine basis, kudos for that!!

What type of liver activity? Elevated white cell count? What sort of Kombucha were you drinking? Are you making it? If so with what and how?

I don't know the exact test. But it usually indicated blocked liver ducts. Had an ultrasound and found nothin.
I was making my own, based on GT's commercial kombucha, and organic black tea.

I was using a large Glass Jar (made in Italy) purchased at Winners. I'm assuming nothing bad with the glass. Winners sells defective crap, but it was still made in Italy, the gasket on the lid just didn't fit right - but I didn't care for what I'm doing.

The lid had a paper towel secured with a rubber band. It was fermented over a 2 week period. When bottling, I added to fruit juice so that it was 80% kombucha in a 500 ml bottle. I used Grolsh green Swing top bottles, circa 1982 with real ceramic lids. And I'd have half of that bottle a day. Sometimes less, but never more. Usually I'd have a small sip every now and then and then have some more hours later.

I was only using for about 3 weeks when my blood work was flagged, so it could have been a coincidence, but there was no other reason for the flag, so I'm assuming that was it.

I was using a large Glass Jar (made in Italy) purchased at Winners. I'm assuming nothing bad with the glass. Winners sells defective crap, but it was still made in Italy, the gasket on the lid just didn't fit right - but I didn't care for what I'm doing.

The lid had a paper towel secured with a rubber band. It was fermented over a 2 week period. When bottling, I added to fruit juice so that it was 80% kombucha in a 500 ml bottle. I used Grolsh green Swing top bottles, circa 1982 with real ceramic lids. And I'd have half of that bottle a day. Sometimes less, but never more. Usually I'd have a small sip every now and then and then have some more hours later.

I was only using for about 3 weeks when my blood work was flagged, so it could have been a coincidence, but there was no other reason for the flag, so I'm assuming that was it.

only 1/2 cup (125ml) max is often the suggested daily serving. well somewhere around there, possibly up to a cup. it's been awhile since i've researched it. i've felt an almost allergic reaction to kt if i drink too much. i drink about 1/2 cup daily. closer to 1/3.

I registered on this forum just so I could post this.

I'm positive, for some people, kombucha does cause liver damage(lost appetite, lost weight, had dry skin, etc..doctor confirmed via lab test with elevated liver profile). It did for me and I'm still recovering from it. I took the GT brand of kombucha and drank half a bottle once a day for several months.

As mentioned here, http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0, this person too had liver damage after taking only kombucha, omega 3.6.9., and borage oil.

I too have been taking kombucha, omega3.6.9., but no borage oil.

Maybe it's the combination of omega3.6.9 and kombucha? I've been taking the omega3.6.9 for years(and continue to do so). So, it can't be the omega3.6.9(all plant/seed based) at least not by itself.

Anyways, I'm glad I've stopped before it was too late.

draven said:
I registered on this forum just so I could post this.

I'm positive, for some people, kombucha does cause liver damage(lost appetite, lost weight, had dry skin, etc..doctor confirmed via lab test with elevated liver profile). It did for me and I'm still recovering from it. I took the GT brand of kombucha and drank half a bottle once a day for several months.

As mentioned here, http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0, this person too had liver damage after taking only kombucha, omega 3.6.9., and borage oil.

I too have been taking kombucha, omega3.6.9., but no borage oil.

Maybe it's the combination of omega3.6.9 and kombucha? I've been taking the omega3.6.9 for years(and continue to do so). So, it can't be the omega3.6.9(all plant/seed based) at least not by itself.

Anyways, I'm glad I've stopped before it was too late.

Borage oil can cause liver problems, so says three medical professionals I consulted...and the CDC is saying omega 3 can cause problems with kombucha intake. Kombucha is not for everyone and I applaud those who consult their physicians and let them know they drink kombucha or kefir, etc.

I have similar results with blood work test results - elevated liver enzymes - if this is still an active thread I can elaborate if you are interested. Did yours go back down after quitting the kombucha? I just received my results and am a little freaked out - really high ALT (and high AST too). I don't take drugs or drink alcohol but have been drinking (a strongly fermented) kombucha from glass and taking borage oil.

I have similar results with blood work test results - elevated liver enzymes - if this is still an active thread I can elaborate if you are interested. Did yours go back down after quitting the kombucha? I just received my results and am a little freaked out - really high ALT (and high AST too). I don't take drugs or drink alcohol but have been drinking (a strongly fermented) kombucha from glass and taking borage oil.

How much kombucha are you drinking a day, and define strongly fermented. Have you talked to your physician about taking borage oil plus kombucha? No other meds, supplements, anything? And the elevated enzymes are noted since you started consuming one or both, any correlation? Ed Kasper at Happy Herbalist would likely be worth consulting with, his website has the info. You may have already looked at this but within the post are links to articles which you may find useful... http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=4800.0

I'm wondering the same thing. I just received test results with elevated ALT (liver enzyme). The doctor took two tests. The first test the doctor said I have a fatty liver and needed to take more testing. I increased my Kombucha intake to hopefully help my liver but the second tests showed even higher levels of ALT liver enzyme. Tests were taken within a couple months of each other. I wonder if it's just part of the detoxifying effect of Kombucha.

Really? 129 views an no one has had a similar experience?
I had a routine blood work up last month and all of my numbers were perfect except for AST and ALT levels: they were 10 times where they be. Hepatitis and hemochromatosis tests came back negative, ultra sound of liver was normal. I’ve had blood drawn twice since then and the numbers are significantly down but still elevated (50 and 39 now- 4 weeks ago 420 and 221). I haven’t drank Kombucha since New Year’s Day.

I switched from dairy cream to almond creamer around the same time I started drinking kombucha more regularly (October 2019). If that were the issue though the numbers wouldn’t be going down as it’s the morning coffee choice still. No prescription meds. Ibuprofen for 3-5 days a month. It’s definitely caused by something I’ve ingested.

I’m playing the elimination game. I’m betting it’s the kombucha.

I think this is an important thread to keep active!

I have heard everything from “Kombucha is the healthiest thing on earth” to “Maybe it’s healthy and I used it to replace soda” to “Don’t drink that stuff, it’ll kill you.” We can certainly use this forum to get anecdotal evidence while we wait for scientific examination.

AST and ALT do not correlate directly with liver damage as long as the ratio stays the same. It is just the quick and dirty test that should prompt more specific tests (but sometimes our doctors get lazy or have their hands tied by insurance). Has anyone with elevated AST and ALT gotten specific tests for liver health? If so, please post!

Everything we put in our bodies has an effect. Some good, some bad.

Back