What is skeeter pee ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Ok I have been on here for a little while now and keep seeing people mention about skeeter pee I'm from the uk and have never heard of this before but I am intrigued and also dos anyone have any simple recipies for it ? I have not long started brewing myself so trying to stick to simple ones at the moment :)

In my experience it is fare easier to put this on top of the lees/yeast cake after making cider. The yeast is already well established and handles the high acid level of the lemon juice much easier.

It's tastes great, the ladies in my neighborhood really enjoy it back sweetened, carbonated and over ice on a hot summer day.

Should be a winner then I might just make a gallon first make sure I like it lol how strong does it come out ?? And am I right in thinking a yeast cake is just the slurry from the bottom of the barrel after fermenting ??

So will this only work with a yeast cake ?? Or can you just pitch fresh yeast ? Don't you get a bit of flavor transfer using pre used yeast ?

So will this only work with a yeast cake ?? Or can you just pitch fresh yeast ? Don't you get a bit of flavor transfer using pre used yeast ?

i've made this several times by just taking about 1/2 liter out, watering it down and making a starter with that.

i've pitched right into the carboy to but it took a little longer to get going, but it did work. i recommend the watered down starter.

medusa1066 said:
Equation: Edwort's Apfelwein Yeast Cake + Skeeter Pee Must = AWESOME!

Edwort's Apfelwein Yeast Cake ?? Is this something you can buy or make ??

The fastest and the easiest is just mix up everything except the lemon juice. After a couple hrs it will be gassing like mad. Add all three bottles of juice and forget about it for about six weeks. You do NOT need any fancy starting methods or yeast cakes. No need to check sg and add nutrient later just add it all in the beginning, so much easier. One pack of Lalvin 1118 or 1122 is all you need. Mike

If I was doing it again I'd add a fourth bottle of lemon juice (maybe even more). My batch is good but I feel like it's slightly lacking in acidity/tartness that I get with normal lemonade.

I have made two batches of this, both on the yeast cake from strawbery melomels. Comes out great, I constantly have people asking me for more. Sadly after having way, way to much in one night last fall I still cant drink it but will continue making it as its fairly cheep and a real crowd pleaser.

dover157 said:
I have made two batches of this, both on the yeast cake from strawbery melomels. Comes out great, I constantly have people asking me for more. Sadly after having way, way to much in one night last fall I still cant drink it but will continue making it as its fairly cheep and a real crowd pleaser.

Sounds good to me :) as soon as I have some room I will get some on the go can you buy yeast cakes then ? Or do you have to make them ?

When people say yeast cake, they are referring to the compacted lees of another wine. Example: You make a 6 gallon batch of cider, and bottle after the second racking. In the bottom of the carboy there is the thick layer of yeast filled sediment; instead of wasting all those healthy active yeast, leave them in the container and use the recipe outlined here. The yeast will be ready to go without the lag phase.

This is so interesting. I have got to try this. Would I have enough of a yeast cake to do this from a one gallon batch of mead?

Yes I just started a SP with the yeast cake off a 1 gallon White grape peach wine. Just took the SP 43 hours to really start strong but it is rolling good now.

Back