Omission Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't trust it just yet. My understanding is that there is no established, effective industry standard detection method for the gluten resulting from malted grains. Obviously minimizing protein content throughout the process is going to help. I believe Corona is technically gluten-free according to the 20ppm standard as well! I suspect there are American lagers that theoretically fall below 20ppm too.

Just because they hire a lab to test it doesn't mean the lab is using the right test. I think a controlled test of celiac sufferers is in order. To do that you'd need to mask the flavors of the beer to allow for placebo.

Remember that there was a study out that did a study that showed beers resulting in high levels despite being called low gluten that was using a mass spectrometer that showed high levels of specific proteins.

Plus there's a lot that's unknown about the reaction and full details of removal of these items. I expect that it'll be a case by case basis for people who don't care enough and want to risk themselves, (maybe because at the worst with normal gluten they have a mild reaction).

There's certainly promising studies but even they say a *reduction* not elimination, and it's still hard to say just at what quantity the body (which is different for everyone) can handle.

Tried the lager on my way through Portland (the pale ale was sold out everywhere I looked, sadly). Meh. I liked it better the first time I tried it...when it was called Daura. Whoop-de-do, more generic-tasting gluten-free beer. Now, if Stone or Lagunitas came out with something GF, then I'd be interested.

I have celiac disease (diagnosed a year ago). I am really sensitive: multiple trials showed a reaction to walking into a bakery (without eating anything). I often react to foods made on shared facilities. I would guess I'm sensitive to around the 10 ppm level for a typical serving size. I may be less sensitive now, as I calculated all that stuff around the 6 month mark and I would guess I've healed a lot since then.

A couple weeks ago I was visiting family in Portland and got to try the Omission beer (both the lager and the ale). I drank about one bottle each time, and didn't get sick from it. So here's at least one celiac who didn't get a reaction from it.

As for doing a blind study, I've had a poor correlation between thinking I'd get sick and actually getting sick, and my reaction is strong when I do get glutened, so for me it doesn't seem susceptible to the nocebo effect, and thus wouldn't require a blind test.

It's difficult to extrapolate my experience to others, though, unless we knew that the enzymes broke down hordein into very short peptides. It could easily break it down enough to test negative (down to 5 ppm sensitivity) with the ELISA tests, but still be intact enough to react in vivo for some (even if it didn't in others). But at least I can provide one test case of trying it and not having a reaction.

By the way, this is my first post. I was just getting into brewing before I got diagnosed, so I'm thrilled to find this subforum. I'd love to get back into brewing.

They finally started selling Omission here in the SF Bay Area, so I thought I'd try a sixer of the pale ale. I'm sad to say that 1) it doesn't taste very good, and 2) after two bottles, I began feeling ill and promptly took an extended stay in the bathroom. I felt fine after one, but the second one was too much. When I took that trip to the Northwest and tried a sixer of the lager, I rationed the heck out of it and never drank more than one in a sitting, but I did drink that whole sixer without issue. So I'm surprised that drinking 2 gave me a reaction, as I was pretty sure the beer was safe. FWIW, I'm gluten-intolerant, not a celiac sufferer, and gluten intolerance is not nearly so well understood as celiac disease.

I won't be buying Omission again, and I'll be recommending others to stay away. New Planet tastes better anyway.

I have celiac disease (diagnosed a year ago). I am really sensitive: multiple trials showed a reaction to walking into a bakery (without eating anything). I often react to foods made on shared facilities. I would guess I'm sensitive to around the 10 ppm level for a typical serving size. I may be less sensitive now, as I calculated all that stuff around the 6 month mark and I would guess I've healed a lot since then.

A couple weeks ago I was visiting family in Portland and got to try the Omission beer (both the lager and the ale). I drank about one bottle each time, and didn't get sick from it. So here's at least one celiac who didn't get a reaction from it.

As for doing a blind study, I've had a poor correlation between thinking I'd get sick and actually getting sick, and my reaction is strong when I do get glutened, so for me it doesn't seem susceptible to the nocebo effect, and thus wouldn't require a blind test.

It's difficult to extrapolate my experience to others, though, unless we knew that the enzymes broke down hordein into very short peptides. It could easily break it down enough to test negative (down to 5 ppm sensitivity) with the ELISA tests, but still be intact enough to react in vivo for some (even if it didn't in others). But at least I can provide one test case of trying it and not having a reaction.

By the way, this is my first post. I was just getting into brewing before I got diagnosed, so I'm thrilled to find this subforum. I'd love to get back into brewing.

Similar situation as I used to be an avid home brewer before being diagnosed almost two years ago. I also can consume Omission without any problems. The pale ale is very good for a GF beer; the lager is a small notch above Bud. For a better GF lager the Estrella Damm Daura from Spain is quite tasty.

my LBS just started carrying Omission, I was only able to find the pale ale. one is currently sitting in my fridge. Ill give it a shot here soon and report back..

also very interesting the comment that one was fine but two was too many

my LBS just started carrying Omission, I was only able to find the pale ale. one is currently sitting in my fridge. Ill give it a shot here soon and report back..

also very interesting the comment that one was fine but two was too many

My wife was diagnosed celiacs in november, she drank a sixer of the daura out of spain, no more than 2 at a time and said there was minimal or no reaction... She didnt care for the bards tale, but i loved it... And she did like the strawberry blonde from dogfish, it was one of tweason ales so only release it like 3 times a year with limited distribution out west here

I picked up a six pack of the pale ale today and I'm not too impressed. It's not bad but I feel like I've made better GF beer. It tastes ok but it seems a little too hop heavy for me with not enough maltiness to it. I have kind of a grassy taste in my mouth after finishing off the sixth one. I haven't had a reaction but I am asymptomatic sometimes so I'm not sure if that's a great test.

I haven't made the time to cook up a batch of my oatmeal and sugar GF, so I stopped at the BevMart, and bought a sample pack each of Ommissions and Daura, all of the barley GFs they had. I realy didn't like the sorghum stuff, but thought it would be my only choice again.

I like them all better than any sorghum. I even malted my own sorghum once. Bleah.

Anyway, I/m not a hop-head. I can't wait for some micro to use that same system for GF, and do a Newcastle or Flat Ass Tired recipe. Some heavy dark sweet dinner beer.

Overall, though, I guess it's time to roast some malted oats and get with the homebrew GF. $10/6 is a bit steep for a AG homebrewer's wallet. But beats no beer at all.

If you are looking for a Belgian Amber (similar to Fat Tire), there is a new one called Brunehaut. It is imported from Belgium and is supposedly organic. They hired some organic chemist to come up with a process to remove/reduce, or how they described it - "separate", the gluten in a barley based beer. Not sure how widely available it is yet, but I have found it in several LBS in the Denver metro area. They also have a really good Blonde.

I have seen the lab tests done by independent 3rd party labs (have copies from the lab). There is the most commonly known Elisa R5 that tests to 5 ppm. This beer was below that amount. Then, there is some new test supposedly developed specifically for testing fermented beverages that can only test to 10 ppm. This beer also was below that amount.

I'm not affiliated with the brewer, importor or distributor, FYI.

The problem is that testing only for gluten doesn't work, because gluten breaks down into smaller proteins, like gliadin and hordein, which are just as triggering for many people. Any beer with a light malt bill and a long protein rest can come out technically gluten-free, but they're still not safe for many celiacs and people with intolerances, because there's still lots of hordein and/or gliadin hanging around. Tests that have been done on gluten-reduced beers show them to be just as high in hordein as non-treated beers. Some people are okay with hordein but not the full gluten molecule, but others are not, and if you don't know which you are, it's a gamble.

Latest posts

Back