What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up a Strong Belgian Ale. Cleaned a keg for my Apfelwein.
Made a mental note to avoid public restrooms in Allentown.

Drank four bottles of homebrew that were taking up space in my fridge, designed labels for bottles of homebrew I'm giving to a friend in honor of his promotion, and listened to my Bavarian Hefeweisen happily ferment.

Don

ArrowheadAles said:
Just called in sick to finish building my brew stand.

A+! Nice one!

I started buidling my hopper for my new Crankenstein. Then drank beer and watched Dr Who.

Decided to brew tomorrow, so I'm making a 3L starter. The wort is cooling and the yeast is warming. I figure to have 16 hours on the stir plate so no problem there. I'm finalizing the grain bill and hop schedule now. I'm going to name it "last minute American Amber Ale"

I just went dumpster-diving for 1.75L bottles to age my mead in. I live in collegetown, so I pretty much just went to the neighbors. 5 gallons of liquor bottles in <1hr, score!
In the middle of sanitizing them right now. Gotta love the smell of B-Brite in the evening...

Scored enough great items off of Craigslist today to get my SIL setup to brew his own. 3 brewers in the family now.

waiting a few minutes to aerate and pitch into a pretty strong cream ale. and i am boiling the pooh out of my hop bag so i can brew again tomorrow night...- hopefully move that berliner wiess...

Took apart my keg. Cleaned and sanitized it. Now just waiting for my beer to age a bit in primary

I drank - planned my next stout, and tried to help some new board members thru a few posts.

Cheers!

Tried my first BIAB session this morning and re-plumbed the CO2 lines in my kegerator tonight. Also cleaned a few cornies while enjoying a Patersbier (from NB) that I brewed about 2 years ago.

(Last Night)

Having FINALLY gotten my Vassini Kegerator to stabilize at 38*F by tweaking the coarse adjust screw on the thermostat, I put the kegs (Blueberry Wheat, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Lime Amber Ale) back in for the WEEKEND.

Also, added more neon beer sign magnets to the keezer. I should finish the front this weekend.

Tonight, gonna get set up to brew an 8g batch of Dunkelweiss Saturday.

:rockin:

Checked on the clarity of my Belgian Ale in the carboy this morning. Then, I checked the status of my shipment of a new bottle of BLC for my kegerator. And now, I'm blowing off doing actual work at the office for something much more important...surfing the HBT forums!

...Also cleaned a few cornies while enjoying a Patersbier (from NB) that I brewed about 2 years ago.

Hey King,

How did the Patersbier taste? I kegged a batch this fall and it's all gone. The yeast character was in the background at first and just started to come out when I kicked the keg about a month later. Wondering if I should have bottled it instead.

Oh, and today I doubled my primary fermentation capacity. And am trying my best to create a new brewer out of my BIL (giving him stuff). Still working on my neighbor. Gotta spread the addiction!

1. Measured out grains for my double brew day this Sunday-
A. Dunkel
B. Irish Red

2. Bought a 50# sack of 2-row ($53.99 in Fairbanks, AK)

3. Drafted plans for my brew stand

4. Bought 60 linear feet of 1.5x1.5x 0.1875 mild steel square tubing and a sheet of 16 gauge ($245 bucks in Fairbanks, AK)

5. Dropped plans (item #3) off at the local trade school and arranged for the steel (item #4) to be delivered on Monday at the same school

That's all for today...

Took advantage of the HBT membership drive and became a premium member. I've learned so much from this site and everyone on it I figured it's the least I could do.

I racked Denny's Rye IPA to secondary. I did a yeast starter of San Diego super yeast for a Blueberry Ale I am brewing this weekend. I also cleaned out and sanitized a few growlers as the wife and I are going to Kane Brewing tomorrow to stock up for Super Bowl.

In addition to getting my kit for brewing tonight, I got a few misc. stuff that will hopefully help in improving my over all process. We'll see.

I just checked my lager in the primary. 6 days, with an unfortunate warm day included, and counting now.

I gotta clean a few newly emptied bottles in a bit. But I also got a big bottle of Chimay blue label for later. $10.99 per bottle,but being a 750ml,it's a better value to me than 4 bottles of the SA limited editions Giant Eagle has. Just trying to remember if the Chimay blue label was a trippel or the double?

Ah,cool! I was watching Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter on youtube recently. The episodes where he was in Belgium & that was the 1st stop. So it's the double,excellent! I like the way he described it. Sounded delicious. Can't wait till later. Even my wife liked the sound/sight of that fancy corked bottle. I don't mind admitting I'm excited for this one. It'll be my/our 1st Belgian ale.

Ah,cool! I was watching Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter on youtube recently. The episodes where he was in Belgium & that was the 1st stop. So it's the double,excellent! I like the way he described it. Sounded delicious. Can't wait till later. Even my wife liked the sound/sight of that fancy corked bottle. I don't mind admitting I'm excited for this one. It'll be my/our 1st Belgian ale.

If anything, I'd say the Red is a dubbel, the White is a tripel, and the Blue is closer to a quad.

Yeah,that's the way I understand it to this point. The double looks a lot like my Burton ale,the triple lighter like my wife's summer shandy. I guess the quad is darker?...we'll see in a couple hours. Can't wait to see what FG I get on the sunset gold APA tomorrow.

clean one keg and filled another with an IPA, 5 weeks
in the primary the last two dry hopped. It's in the freezer
getting cold and force carb it tonight for tomorrow.

I cleaned my better bottle so I can rack the "really triple hopped miller lite" recipe into it tomorrow. I only have 2 fermentors. :)

I also added some money to the montly budget so I can become a member next pay day. Damn this Dave Ramsey crap the wife has us doing. :)

Today I researched when to add my honey and when to add my fruit for my Huckleberry Wheat. Plan is to add the honey shortly after flame out at around 170F and to rack onto puréed huckleberries in secondary after 10-14 days in primary.

This is more of a "what i did for beer this weekend" response.

Yesterday: Cleaned and sanitized 4 corny kegs, replacing the O-rings on 3 (the 4th had been done recently). Racked an IPA to keg and put it on gas. Bottled 12 of the Blue Moon clone for my cousin who came over to help/learn while I made a batch for SWMBO.

Today: Bought 4 lbs. of hops :rockin:: CTZ, Simcoe, Centennial pellets and Amarillo leaf (can't find bulk pellets). Researched Founder's Red's Rye clone, since that will probably be one of my next brews. Did more "research" about Double IPA's (read: "drank some Hopslam"), another of my next 3 brews once I decide exactly what I want to make.

Today I proved that all the random homebrew equipment taking up space at my house, is very multi-functional. After leaving our Ice Mountain delivery outside for too long, apparently one of the bottles had a crack in it and was leaking all over the place. Busted out the auto siphon to rack the water into an empty bottle. Also used PBW to get rid of some nasty mold that was built up in some sippie cups, and some Star San for some kid toys that were played with during a case of pink eye.
Now if I could just find something to do with all this beer and wine.

I did my best to drink down my pipeline so I can brew again next week:D

Yesterday I drilled out my pot and added a ball valve and thermometer. I will be using a bazooka screen and leaf hops for now. The wife and I picked up 3 growlers from Kane, a local brewery. I also ,accidentally, sort of cold crashed my beer. Our older dog had an accident in the spare room so I opened up the windows to air it out over night forgetting that I have Denny's Rye in secondary. Checked this morning and the beer looks a lot clearer and the carboy reads 48 degrees, whoops!

Re-organized my empties again, waiting as patiently as possible for next bottling day. The I watched the airlock bubble for a while.

Back