What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built a stir plate so my yeasties can get their groove on:fro: Gota go put on some Barry White now.

396700_2512885310574_1506410965_31955398_1481952758_n.jpg

Checked my American Wheat, ordered 10 gal worth of spotted cow supplies, dry hopped my Hopslam clone & had a few of my brews.

I acquired a controller from work. I plan to use it in conjunction with a chest freezer and space heater to create a temperature controlled fermentation chamber. It has 15 outputs and 18 inputs, some binary, some analog, and some configurable/universal. It is a little bit of overkill, but I have plenty of room for expansion if I decide to have multiple chambers or try to control brewing temps. Here it is, you may recognize the company name from the single stage temperature controllers that a lot of HBS sell.

Resampled_2012-01-24_17-10-39_875.jpg

The other night we lost power to the whole neighborhood. With temps in the house getting to the low 60s, I was concerned about the 15 gallons of wort in the ferm chamber. I just brewed it 2 days before and didn't want the yeast to stall. Before we left the house to sleep @ my parents, I ran down to the basement/brewery, and covered each fermenter with a sweatshirt. Luckilly the power came back on about 7 hours later. Came home a day later to an airlock clogged with krausen. Guess the yeasties appreciated the effort.

Plan to rack IIPA into secondary for cold crash before bottling.

Need to check gravity on the Xmas ale that is WAY behind schedule and see if it's ready for the keg. STILL gassing off!

Oh, and I'll drink some beer.

I'm mashing at the moment for a West Coast IPA. Measuring out my hop additions, and oh yeah, having a home brew.

Wow, how did I miss this thread!

I spend most free moments and some not free working on something related to brewing. I'm working on starting a brewery, so that's how it goes. Today I:
1) Spoke to an economic development planner about locations, zoning laws, and incentive packages.
2) Researched total craft beer output for North Carolina (tough to find anything!)
3) Sent a letter to Beer Advocate asking them to correct a link in an article about us
4) Searched probrewer's classified section for used equipment we could use
5) Promoted our Kickstarter project (which I'm shamelessly doing now) on our Facebook page.

That's it so far, but tonight I'm planning on putting together my new Ranco to replace the old one that got fried from water exposure. I'm going to make the new one mostly waterproof! I have an imperial pseudo-pilsner with citra hops to brew and I need the Ranco fixed before then. It's a test project for the brewery, which is why I'm not using real lager yeast.

Made a blended Scottish 1728 \ Whitbread 1099 starter today nourished with a pint of imperial stout i took from the last batch as a SG sample and a little malt extract. Just woke up and am watching the foam bobbing around on the surface of my starter while sipping a coffee thinking Jaggery Barley Wine uuum maybe .... it's a good start to the day ! :)

I gave my wife her first bottle of her Summer Shandy I made her. It was carbed up pretty well and had a nice head on it. She says there is lot of lemonade up front but finishes a little bitter. She also said since she hasn't had a summer shandy since August she couldn't tell me how close it was. She also asked me to make my Blueberry wheat beer for her best friend's bridal shower. We served as "Something Blue Ale" at our rehearsal dinner and her friend loved it and has been asking ever since for more. The wife even wants some bottles with corks and caps so they look nice she says.

]So I guess this is for yesterday, ok went to plumbing supply house and got parts went to hydrolic parts store and got o-rings. Went to wood store and picked up a pice of Spanish Cedar for aging beers with. Came home put a sight glass on brew kettle and filled and marked water levels on it. Finnished a friends mash tun it looks great. Worked up a brown ale recipe, went to brew store and picked up grain for my brown ale and a grain bill for a Barley Wine a friend and I are doing Sat. Talked to a guy about home brewing try to get as many people in to it as possible. Then went to said friends house and drilled holes for his faucets through the Kegel and got it all hooked up looks great and finnished the day with fresh on tap brew. That day is like a sore Peter, you just can't beat it. [/SIZE]

Also yesterday. Prepared bottles for tomorrow night's bottle session. That will free up my big batch fermentation bucket. Also got my internet connection back up after a couple of days. That will allow me to buy the Beer Smith license since demo is up. I can tell I will use alot.

In the process of starting my first BIAB!!!! Grains milled and strike water heating.

Edit: finished. .04 points under what was expected. Learned some things for next time. Mainly. My pot holds heat well. No need to boost the heat.

Yesterday:
Rebuilt my kegs, replaced the beer lines on my kegerator, and transferred my IIPA to the keg...

Today:
Having a "sample" of said IIPA now... Very early, but possibly the best beer I've made to date!!! I'm excited!!!

:mug:

Transferred my wheat to a keg to secondary for a week before I start carbing it. Will be Transferring my Frankenbeer (Trappist I pitched the wrong yeast into) to a keg too to secondary for a couple weeks. I gotta free up those carboys for more new stuff. :p

Speaking of new stuff... brewing an English pale ale right now. Draining the grains (BIAB) then starting the boil.

I dry hopped my ruination clone. Oh, and I made room for it in the fridge by drinking a lot of that pesky beer that was taking up space.

i've been pulling my pants and shorts down to my ankles when i pee in a public restroom. i especially like to do this at "trough" style urinals. If anyone knows a cool way to get some handprints on their ass cheeks (ie carefully placed lotion and tanning- etc) - please let me know. Also - i showed a friend how to brew beer. a SMaSH- maris otter and styrian goldings. and we got snookered. and i forgot that i was filling a sparge pot and played karaoke. now i have to repair sheetrock in my basement. for beer...

Brewed a Two Hearted clone that I racked onto a yeast cake from a simple wheat beer I brewed last week. Had to baby sit my primary most of the day and cobbled up a redneck blow off tube so the lid don't blow off the bucket & paint the ceiling (next time I'll listen to the posts on here that it's way too much yeast for that beer to handle & will wash it next time). Also bottled my Hopslam clone & drank a Bud Light so some other poor sucker didn't have to....you're welcome.

Registered for my first HB competition... Also, started soaking 12 bottles so I can bottle from my keg for the first time tomorrow.

:mug:

Moved Hefeweizen to secondary and drank Moose Drool. Was going to brew a Blue Moon Clone but ran out of time after washing and waxing both vehicles. Supposed to rain today. :mad:

Kegged my Sweet Stout today. I was going to wait another week but it was already at a lower FG than I wanted. I decided to cold crash it. Also sent an email to the local water supplier for the latest water report. He is a good guy and sends me the important numbers that are not listed in the general report sent out from the city.

Latest posts

Back