What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I kegged the Amber Ale I brewed about a month ago. I brew 4 gallon batches at the city house: that’s the max for the kettle I have here. By weight I got exactly 4 gallons in the keg.

Today I worked my way around the St. Paddy’s parade downtown and made it to the LHBS to get the ingredients for a Fizzy Yellow Lager that I’ll brew tomorrow. 2-row, Pilsner, flaked wheat, and I’ll add some table sugar to dry it out a bit. Perle and Liberty to about 15 IBU and 34/70. Going for something of a Pre-Prohibition vibe.

Today was Deep Clean day. I disassembled all my weldless bulkhead fittings, diptubes, 2- and 3-piece ball valves and gave all the pieces a nice hot PBW bath. There were a couple of grungy spots hidden away behind some of the interior connectors, but it wasn't as bad as I thought they might be. Now I'm ready for outdoor brewing season.

I worked on scrubbing out the last remaining burnt sugar from my 5 gallon kettle. Baking soda paste was very helpful, followed by a hot PBW soak, then light abrasive still left a thin layer of carbon. Starsan soak took care of that, and perhaps if I had thrown that in after the PBW the light abrasive could have been skipped. Anyway, it’s now sparkling clean and ready for a brew day!

Flushing lines, pump and plate chiller with hot water/PBW. Afterwards a couple rinses and sanitizer. And a beer, I'm parched!

Attachments

• IMG_20240318_123335777_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240318_123335777_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
It is time to run some hardware tests before my brew day tomorrow. The tests include the function of the hop dispenser, grain hopper dispensing valve, some fault diagnostic messages with correct parts identification, silos, and more.
Tomorrow I will brew a Heller Maibock or golden bock.

Attachments

• Today-1.jpg
    Today-1.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Today-2.jpg
    Today-2.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 0
Yesterday I brewed 20 litres of a Modelo clone
3800g Pilsner malt
800g Flaked Maize
200g Carapils
100g Acid Malt
Diluted the tap water with 10 litres of Tesco Ashbeck.
18g Cascade at 45 minutes
20g Willamette at 15 minutes
M54 yeast at 16C
Low efficiency at 68% due in probability to the Maize.

Back