how long b4 theres carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phrasty

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch on monday and im just curious when's the earliest i can taste it with it having good carbonation... I want to kind of grasp the ageing process in the beer, how the beer develops. OK so i guess what im asking is how long does it take for the beer to start carbonating....get head/be fizzy/bubbly... whatever! lol thanks all!

Cheers

Depends a lot on temp. Stored at 70-75 and the beer should carbonate in one week, but two is better. Cooler than that and it's going to take a lot longer.

Tasted my first APA at a week and thought it was crap. now it's a heavenly brew after a two months or so.

I have an ESB and a Scottish at two weeks this saturday. Apfelwine at a week on Saturday.

How long before the Apfelwine is ready to sample?

i always say waiting only hurts your patience. generally speaking, the longer you let it go, the better it will become.

this goes for most beer styles, meads, wines, ciders, etc.

there are exceptions, such as wheat beers and very low gravity beers, but in general if you can let it go for an extra month, it will be that much better.

this is one reason to brew often, that way you aren't waiting around for a single batch, but rather tasting an aged one while making a fresh one.

gnef said:
this is one reason to brew often, that way you aren't waiting around for a single batch, but rather tasting an aged one while making a fresh one.
Very, very true. I was drinking mine to early in my short career but then made 4-5 batches and now I get them when they are a month old. I have 6-8 cases waiting and the beer is so much better.
I have never had good carbonation until the end of the 3rd week.

Thanks guys... easier said than done when its your first batch though! LOL *sigh* 3 weeks it is then...

Cheers

haha. trust me, it will be worth it. i've heard of too many brewers saying that the last few bottles were the best. imagine if they had just been willing to wait a bit longer to start drinking it!

I always sample a bottle one week. Typically it's not perfect but gives my an idea of where the beer is heading. By two, most of my beers are OK. There are some I wish I would have kept longer.

My second beer was a porter (small batch using the Mr Beer keg as a fermenter). I went through it way too fast and didn't think it was too great. Now, having more experience I think it would have been a kicka** beer.

wait it out. Even with your first batch, it's going to suck to wait, but just do it, keep brewing. I didn't believe all these wicked smart kids on here, but brew through it, you'll be glad you did and at some point you'll stand back and go 'fcuk, I have an ass-ton of beer'

98EXL said:
wait it out. Even with your first batch, it's going to suck to wait, but just do it, keep brewing. I didn't believe all these wicked smart kids on here, but brew through it, you'll be glad you did and at some point you'll stand back and go 'fcuk, I have an ass-ton of beer'

Hey I think I saw the conversion for ass-tons to gallons in ProMash last night!

:drunk:

Moonpile said:

Yeah, It calculates the amount of calories + quantity X time / exercise = Ratio of asstons Then you can use the standard 25.4 to convert to metric for you east of the pond'ers

Moonpile said:

you probably did. My girlfriend and I debate all the time weather I have ass-tons of beer (my thought) or ****-tons of beer (her thought)

I dunno, but we don't care, we have so much (I think) and more to come

wait till you keg, and have kegs 'stored' around the house. haha.

Back