adjunct grains for extract??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashStirBrew

Reaction score
Is it possible to add grain adjuncts like flaked wheat or flakes oats to an extract brew? Or is this something only the AG or Partial mash guys can do? Sorry if this is a noob question but I’m kind of confused about what specialty grains you can experiment with. If I can add flaked wheat or others, do I add it to the grain bag for steeping or use a separate bag and add it towards the end of a boil?? I almost ordered some for my first brew (fat tire clone) which I will hopefully be brewing this weekend. But, I figured I should consult the experts first. Maybe I am just impatient, or slow on the take but I can't quit seem to find much info on this.:confused:

You can add whatever you want to steep. Adjuncts can be added to the grain bag, but you probably don't get the desired effect unless you put it into the mash.

But you can experiment with anything. Remember that a steep brings color and some flavor to your beer. It adds little else.

I do mostly all grain, but will still do an extract beer if pressed for time.

Cheers. :mug:

Try and get hold of some diastatic malt extract and steep your unmalted adjuncts in that at 66-70 deg c otherwise you will just be adding starch and haze to your beer.

uhlee1 said:
Is it possible to add grain adjuncts like flaked wheat or flakes oats to an extract brew? Or is this something only the AG or Partial mash guys can do? Sorry if this is a noob question but I’m kind of confused about what specialty grains you can experiment with. If I can add flaked wheat or others, do I add it to the grain bag for steeping or use a separate bag and add it towards the end of a boil?? I almost ordered some for my first brew (fat tire clone) which I will hopefully be brewing this weekend. But, I figured I should consult the experts first. Maybe I am just impatient, or slow on the take but I can't quit seem to find much info on this.:confused:

DON"T add it to your boil- you don't want the grains to get over 170 degrees. You add the grains to a grain bag (loosely, don't pack tightly), bring the water up to 155 or so, and steep the grains for 20 minutes or so, occasionally dunking the grain bag like a tea bag.

Where did you get your Fat Tire Clone? I bought one from AHS last summer (an extract kit) and it came with steeping grains and great directions.

Yooper Chick said:
Where did you get your Fat Tire Clone? I bought one from AHS last summer (an extract kit) and it came with steeping grains and great directions.

Its the clone from Midwest. It comes with steeping grains I thought maybe I could add some flaked wheat for better head retention? Not that it needs it, just to do something a little different I guess.

Well, it's your brew so you can do what you want. But I would do it "as is" first- you may find it fine the way it is. Then, next time, do something different if you want, so you have something to compare it to. Then, you'll know exactly what you changed and what it added to your brew. If you already have a beg of steeping grains (but don't know what they are and what they do?), what are you hoping to add?

Back