Is 1" hole saw ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishing73

Reaction score
I think ur supposed to use a 15/16 hole saw for the shanks on a tap. I could only find a 1". I wouldn't think it would matter but wanted to check before I done drilled two holes in my fridge. Thanks :mug:

Actually, I used a slightly smaller hole saw to add my shanks and sort of "forced" them in. You don't want a gap around the shanks.

1" to big u think? The next one down was 7/8.

7/8 will work perfect. It's a little tight but it fits. The bonus is the 7/8 can be used to drill holes for 1/2" npt fittings for a mlt or kettle.

7/8 will work perfect. It's a little tight but it fits. The bonus is the 7/8 can be used to drill holes for 1/2" npt fittings for a mlt or kettle.

Should I exchange the 1" for the 7/8?

Yes, I would exchange it. I checked on here first and the concensus was to use a 7/8" hole saw. I actually bought the cheapest one made for wood from ace hardware, it was half the price of the metal hole saw. So far I have drilled 3 holes in a metal door refrigerator, and 3 holes in stainless pots for ball valves and the bit still drills fine. So unless you have some thick ass metal get the cheapest one. Just make sure to use a little oil.

Yes, I would exchange it. I checked on here first and the concensus was to use a 7/8" hole saw. I actually bought the cheapest one made for wood from ace hardware, it was half the price of the metal hole saw. So far I have drilled 3 holes in a metal door refrigerator, and 3 holes in stainless pots for ball valves and the bit still drills fine. So unless you have some thick ass metal get the cheapest one. Just make sure to use a little oil.

Thanks guys! :mug:

Although fractions and measuring don't trouble me in the least, I take the bit or hole saw and visually size it with the object I want to install. Just because the factory stamped a size on something doesn't make it so. I could tell you about the 11.875" foot long rulers I bought in Chinatown (SF) years ago and how they cost me a lot of $$ with ruined print jobs, but that might make me cry and give you a big laugh.

i used a one inch saw on mine and they came out fine. its not a tight fit but once you tighten down the nut on the shank it doesnt move.

I used a 15/16" Speedbor spade bit ... went through the oak like it was butter, and didn't break out badly on the back side.

Back