Is Guinness Draught the most "sessionable" session beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I am on vacation in Cambodia and have found a pub that has canned Guinness Draught with the widget.

I like Guinness Draught a lot. It isn't my favorite, but I enjoy it. Most beers, even those low in alcohol, eventually wear on my palate over the course of the night. The delicious hops and malts eventually begin to taste harsh on my wore out tongue after too many.

But Guinness Draught, man, I can drink it forever and that doesn't happen. Hell, I could CHUG it all night (not that I would chug beer) and it would keep tasting good to me. It is just so...smooth? Is there any beer more sessionable than Guinness Draught?

I might have to give cloning it a try.

3 years living outside of dublin and I never met anyone under 50 who enjoyed more than one guiness before switching to something else.

The guiness ****s was the number one reason given, I believe. Comes out the way it goes in, mostly black liquid with a little white foamy head on top.

3 years living outside of dublin and I never met anyone under 50 who enjoyed more than one guiness before switching to something else.

The guiness ****s was the number one reason given, I believe. Comes out the way it goes in, mostly black liquid with a little white foamy head on top.

aaaand I'm done.

It is highly sessionable, because it's very light-bodied (not many sugars) and pretty low in alcohol. Indeed, it's about as low-calorie a beer as you'll find outside of light beers.

12oz of Guinness is 126 calories, compared to 110 for a Bud Light, 145 for a Budweiser, and 175 for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Or 142 for a Harp, 160 for a Bass, and 295 for a McEwan's if you want to keep it on the isles.

I love guinness. Its just a very very smooth beer. I could drink it all night with no problems at all. Hell, when we go to a restaurant that serves it, I usually have atleast 3 of them during our time there.

I don't find it to be the most sessionable beer, but it's up there.

I hated Guinness for a long time. Eventually my palate expanded and I started to enjoy stouts. Guinness isn't my favorite beer but it's a good option at a bar with a small tap list.

never experienced that...

I can drink guinness draft all night too. It's a solid session beer. It's not my first choice, but when the bar's selection is limited to BMC, Sam Adams, and Guinness...I'll go with it.

I completely agree. I been asked before "if you had to choose just one beer to drink forever, what would it be?" my answer was guiness. I think it is the best session beer, and it takes a LOT of them to get old IMHO.

The fact that it is low in calories and alcohol is just a bonus (for a session beer).

It is session-able now because your beer cravings biorhythm is set to dark. I seriously doubt you will be cutting your grass near the end of July and then grabbing a Guinness... If you do that is fine but most folks go for something a lot more yellow...

It is session-able now because your beer cravings biorhythm is set to dark. I seriously doubt you will be cutting your grass near the end of July and then grabbing a Guinness... If you do that is fine but most folks go for something a lot more yellow...

Do you also reach for a glass of mead on a summer's day before an iced tea?

Color isn't an indicator of "sessionable". Guinness is a lot lighter-bodied, light tasting, less filling, and easier on the stomach than a super malty Corona is, let alone a Torpedo or a bunch of other lighter-colored beers. Lots of big Belgian golds aren't nearly as summer-drinkable as many British brown ales.

Or to look to Germany, your average (totally black) schwarzbier is more of a session beer than a big double Bock or heavier Marzen/Oktoberfest is.

I completely agree. I been asked before "if you had to choose just one beer to drink forever, what would it be?" my answer was guiness. I think it is the best session beer, and it takes a LOT of them to get old IMHO.

The fact that it is low in calories and alcohol is just a bonus (for a session beer).
i agree. i prefer the creamy, almost flat, smooth, UK session beers to any other beer,

i also agree. nicer weather i can go for something crisp. Hell i can even drink ice cold bud in hot weather! (my bro drinks Budweiser like a fish so its often available, not my first choice)

But it's sooo heavvvyy!

I can never get over how so many people say Guinness is heavy and thick. No, it's not. I even had someone ask "What's a good Stout? But I don't want anything as thick and heavy as Guinness." (facepalm)

If there is nothing else, I'll reach for a Guinness. It and Sam Adams Boston Lager got me into good beer, but now I don't care for Guinness Draught - too light and watery. I want a Stout with more body.

As far as low abv session beers go, I guess Guinness would be up there on my list, although I'd rather have something bigger and better and just not drink as much. I never see the need to be constantly drinking.

Back