Cracked Carboy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pkendzi

Reaction score
I recently bumped my 6 gal carboy and put about a 12" crack in it. It now has a slow leak. I am wondering if some food grade epoxy might make it work for a few more batches? I was also thinking maybe a local glass blower could just tack a bead over the crack?

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone use the plastic carboys & would you recommend them?

I recently bumped my 6 gal carboy and put about a 12" crack in it. It now has a slow leak. I am wondering if some food grade epoxy might make it work for a few more batches? I was also thinking maybe a local glass blower could just tack a bead over the crack?

Any thoughts?

Also does anyone use the plastic carboys & would you recommend them?
After breaking my glass carboy, I now use Better Bottles. I like them a lot. Oh, I wouldn't mess with a cracked carboy.

i wouldnt try to use a cracked carboy. asking for trouble. The plastic ones are fine (and dont break).

I know someone who severed tendons and arteries, two surgeries to fix his hand. Throw it out, carefully.

I still use my 6.5g glass. I *really* wish Better Bottle would make a 7g fermenter.

I ferment in my corny kegs. Can't break them, they are light tight and can rack to serving keg with C02. As stated above, trash the cracked carboy. Not only is it a injury waiting to happen, the crack could potentially harbor bacteria.

I'd definitely discard that carboy. It's would be a good idea to invent in some crates to protect any glass carboys you have for future use,

DSCN3375.jpg

and just be very careful when moving them around.

Another vote for very carefully throwing it away. I used a glass carboy when I first started because it was neat to watch. Now I'm strictly a bucket guy. Although I may use a corny once I get my 3.5G setup going.

Thanks for all the input. It is now in the recycling. I'm going to get a "better bottle" tomorrow and give them a try.

I have a mudroom thats a constant 50*, I'm thinking about trying my first all grain pilsner tomorrow

Thanks Again,

Cheers!

Another vote for very carefully throwing it away. I used a glass carboy when I first started because it was neat to watch. Now I'm strictly a bucket guy. Although I may use a corny once I get my 3.5G setup going.

Great.

I have four buckets that I'm happy with. Now I got a 6.5 Gallon carboy for Christmas and read this thread. I was a little apprehensive before, now - ugh.

Just be careful with it Dynachrome. Milk crates make excellent carboy carriers, as mariojr depicted. You can buy fancy strap carriers too, but the key to keeping them from breaking, aside from not dropping them or dropping stuff on them, is to not bump them.

I have 11 glass carboys, and I haven't broken one yet.

billtzk - Eleven - Wow

Thanks for the heads up guys.

For you new guys - notice - there are related threads at the bottom of the page.

Back