question about belgian pils malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
I bought a 55# bag of castle pilsner malt a few weeks ago and am using it for the first time today. The grains seem much more "flaky" or dry-ish appearing than the 2row i'm accustomed to using. I've brewed with german pils before and don't recall it being like this either. It's almost as if it was partially crushed (though it wasn't--i bought the bag sealed) because the husks were flaky. There was also a lot of stalks pieces mixed in with the grain.

After going through my typical vorlaufing, i also noticed there was a decent amount of grain particles in my final wort.

Is this typical for belgian pils?

TIA

I see the same with my pilsen malt from Castle Malting. I was bit disappointed as this is my 1st 25kg bag of malt.

Other way, the malt seems fine, gives good hot break, and the final beer is clear.

I see the same with my pilsen malt from Castle Malting. I was bit disappointed as this is my 1st 25kg bag of malt.

Other way, the malt seems fine, gives good hot break, and the final beer is clear.

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to see that this was clearest wort i've ever had once all the break material and hop/grain particles fell out of suspension.

Perhaps this is related to higher amount of protein in malt - Castle reports it may have as much as 12% of protein while German pilsner malts (Weyermann, Steinbach) are supposed to have around 10.5%.

Back