how long does hard cider last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenux1255

Reaction score
Hello to all and thank you

I have made a few batches of mead, this fall I am going to try making Hard Apple Cider.
My question is once it has fermented and i have it bottled, how long should u let it age?
How long will it last in the 750ml bottle stored in my celler. Does it expire?

Well, the base waiting time is 2 weeks. That is just a general aging length. A lot of people think you should leave it for a lot longer to let the flavors mingle. I found that my first batch tasted better after 1 week than at 2 weeks. But it is different batch to batch. I'd say drink before a year and a half is up. That will insure it hasn't vinegared(no promises though). And if it goes bad(ie. Vinegar) you still have a lovely apple cider vinegar to use :) there is a plus side to everything.

Depends on what style you are making. Generally the sweeter you stop it, the earlier you can drink it. I've got a keg in the fridge right now that I pressed just a few weeks ago. It tastes great. The drier it goes, the longer you will need to wait for the acids to mellow out.

Depends on what style you are making. Generally the sweeter you stop it, the earlier you can drink it. I've got a keg in the fridge right now that I pressed just a few weeks ago. It tastes great. The drier it goes, the longer you will need to wait for the acids to mellow out.

That would explain w my cider tasted great after only a week. It only fermented for 7 or 8 days.

Ding... Sweet = drink soon.... My sweet cider tasted kinda funny 1-day after bottling, but was *Wonderful* 1-week later.... 3 months later -- it was pretty good, but the original appley flavor was starting to mellow out....

Dry cider seems to do way better if you let it sit a while .... especially if you bumped up the Alcohol content with extra sugar or apple juice concentrate..... That's the stuff that tastes like lighter fluid or really Sharp/bitter when you bottle.... and a year later it's delicious....

If I was going to brew up a Christmas Sweet Cider -- I would start it in November...

Thanks

John

Back