Where is this line going? (fridge dismantle help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
So am in the process of taking the guts out of a small dorm fridge and at the onset looked like this was going to be a breeze. The "freezer" was in from of a plastic rectangle on the back wall that just to happened to be on the other side of a plate that is screwed into the outside back wall of the fridge behind the hot side evaporator. But..

I take the bkac plate off and get the insulation out the way and put the port hole out of the inside to find a hard pipe running fro mthe condenser to the freezer plate (good) and a soft tube that looks like it connects also to the condesor but instead of completeing the loop at the freezer plate it is running above the plastic liner into the insulation. The thermostat is in the middle of the fridge at on the top wall.Looks like this

Any idea of where that soft tube might be going and what is the best way to cut the plastic inner shell?

thanks.

i can't really tell anything from that photo, but you might possibly be looking at the actual sensor for the thermostat.

the white plastic cuts pretty easily with a razor. you might have better control with a dremel, but i'd worry about hitting wiring/coolant lines that way. and as posted above, it's very likely the temperature probe.

yeah I am hoping to cut some of it away with a razor to explore and then when I know what I am dealing with bust out the dremel (caftsman knockoff) to free it complelely

i can't really tell anything from that photo, but you might possibly be looking at the actual sensor for the thermostat.

maybe. I guess I was thinking that the lines would have created a loop from the pomressor to the freezer back to the compressor. There is another hard wire that runs inside the freidge compartment to the thermostat that is rather thin and the wiring diagram on the back of the fridge says what that wire is I think. I'll work on it later tonight and update.

I passed on the dremel since the avaition snips did such a good job. A couple of hours of work and clean up and you go from this

to this.

Next up is to order the love controller and build the cabinet.

not really. Life has gotten in the way and so have other projects. To add insult in injury my carpentry skills are worse than I thought. But will all things I just need to kill a few more trees to get it right. I just need to clear out time to do it.

not really. Life has gotten in the way and so have other projects. To add insult in injury my carpentry skills are worse than I thought. But will all things I just need to kill a few more trees to get it right. I just need to clear out time to do it.

this sounds uncomfortably familiar.:D

Not a problem. Just let us know whenever you do get to it.

What you did so far is still a big help to me. The pick shows me how simple it is inside. Before I tear mine up I may build a simple cabinet. Maybe use a low speed 12v computer fan which is on all the time to blow air over the freezer part and around the cabinet.

Hmmm… Now where can I find some trees?

the hardest part was getting my hand/arm inside to cut the freezer and thermostat control out. un bolt everything on the back and it slides right out the back via the rectangular port hole behind the freezer.

Back