Advice on stuck(sort of) fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino17

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a batch of Papazian's Californian Common, using S-23 yeast. In primary it developed krausen, which fell, so I racked into secondary. It was in secondary for a week+, and then racked into a keg. Before I put the keg on CO2, I measured the gravity, and it was still around 1.040!!! I have had problems before using the malt extract I buy from my only local HBS, so I am assuming there is something wrong with the extract (I has probably been in the store for a very long time).

I must mention that I have done about a dozen AG brews, and have not run into this problem.

After I realized the problem with the brew, I threw in a Beano tablet, and dumped a dry pack of S-23 into the keg. For the last 2 weeks, the keg has been off-gassing, so I have been assuming fermentation is still taking place. But my last gravity reading (yesterday) showed it was still above 1.30. If I open the lid to the keg, I can see numerous CO2 bubbles breaking the surface of the beer/wort.

Do you still think that fermentation is going on, and that this just may take months to finish??? Should I pitch an ale yeast, or repitch more S-23??

This brew has me stumped :mad:

Rhino

Aeration is by shaking the hell out of the carboy. I understand that primary fermentation takes a while, but this beer was brewed 4+ weeks ago.
Is it possible that the extract I used is fermentable, but just very difficult for the s-23 yeast? Fermentation temps are approx. 68F.

Cheers,

Rhino

have you ever thought of using wyeast 2112? thats what I use for my California common and it likes the 65 degree range.

California Lager 2112 L Wyeast High 67% to 71% 58° to 68° F Produces malty, brilliantly clear beers.

Back