Anyone wanna weigh in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snafu

Reaction score
Ok, I'm doing a porter tomorrow and I'm haveing a few "issues" with water. Starting water is Ca=27, Mg=6, HCO3=57, Na=36, Cl=24, & SO4=26. So I need to jack up the alkalinity, 9.15 gallons of total mash water (after all additions) and 3.5 gal sparge water. If I add 14g of baking soda and 1g calc. chloride it will get me to the srm's I need (31) and end up on the "malty" side. BUT, here are my final values; Ca=35, Mg=6, CaCO3=288, Na=147, Cl=38, & SO4=26. Should I be worried about the Na being so close to a max value of 150? What is this high value doing to my brew? :drunk:

yeah, if only I actually had some Chalk. :mad: It would have helped, but alas we work with what we have eh?

would you still add the 1g of Calc. Chloride to move it into the malty side or close enough not to worry with?

thanks Yuri, I always brew low SRM beers, but tomorrow I thought I would do a Porter then tonight I was like holly crap, my water can't do malty...lol So, it looks like the 5g's will get me a SRM of about 104, I was looking for 275. Will it still end up dark as I want?

Back