How long will my keg carbonation last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
How long will my keg carbonation last if I remove the gas-in pressure? I currently have a single keg setup. What I'm considering is buying a second keg and carbing both kegs with my current set up. If I get proper carbonation in keg 1 and then connect my co2 to keg 2, how long will my carbonation stay decent in #1? Is the current 12psi in the keg enough pressure to keep the carbonation level where I want I to be? Will this setup do the trick?

if the beer has already absorbed all the co2 it can at that temp and psi, yes, it will keep that pressure. usually takes about 2 weeks

:)

tumblr_lwn1azXlEc1qcgv7yo1_400.jpg

Just connect both kegs to the same line with a manifold or T fitting. Set your pressure where you want it (10 - 12 psi probably) and forget about it. Check your gauge once in a while and make adjustments if the pressure kreeps up or down a little.

If you need to do the gas-swap method and you're force-carbing both kegs, turn the pressure higher than you want (15psi, maybe). The gas will absorb, pressure on that keg will decline, and you won't end up with too little pressure in the headspace.
T-ing your gas line is definitely a better way to go, though, and only costs a couple bucks at the hardware store http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Valves-Brass-Pipe-Fittings/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbutvZ1z114tvZ1z114xf/R-202032877/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UPA52XdBm1A

Like that, but in 1/4" or whatever fits your line. Kyle

I guess the T is the best solution. Pretty simple actually. Thanks guys. I'll get dialed in eventually.

I was wondering once a keg is carbonated, can it be removed from the co2 line and left to sit and if so for how long? The reason I ask is because beer distributors keep kegs in their coolers for long periods of time without co2 hookups.

Keg is just like a bottle: if properly carbonated and sealed so that gas cannot leak out it should stay carbonated until the end of time.

Keg is just like a bottle: if properly carbonated and sealed so that gas cannot leak out it should stay carbonated until the end of time.

Right. It's only when you pour a beer out of it that it can begin to lose carbonation, if the co2 is not connected to the beer to replace the loss in the headspace. One or two beers won't make a noticeable difference in the carb, but once you pour a few it will stop pouring with no co2 to push the beer, plus it will start to lose carbonation.

When hooked up to co2, how long will the beer stay good? Years ago I had a tap system hooked up to a fridge and the guy at the beer distributor said that the beer should be drunk within 45 days because too much co2 will start to permeate the beer and give it a funny taste. Beer was always gone within two weeks so I never found out. Maybe he just wanted me to keep buying beer sooner.

When hooked up to co2, how long will the beer stay good? Years ago I had a tap system hooked up to a fridge and the guy at the beer distributor said that the beer should be drunk within 45 days because too much co2 will start to permeate the beer and give it a funny taste. Beer was always gone within two weeks so I never found out. Maybe he just wanted me to keep buying beer sooner.

Never heard that one.
Fresher beer is often better, but not for that reason.
CO2 is dissolved in the beer, the amount depends on the temperature the beer is at and the pressure of the tap system, not how long it is hooked up beyond the period needed to dissolve that carbonation level.
Maybe he was talking about O2 instead, with the "Bronco" pumps and the like where you are pumping air with a hand pump, which introduces oxygen and causes the beer to go stale?

That may be what he was talking about. That was about 20 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be. Just ask my wife. I have yet to keg but I do want to try it. Another question I have is if I fill a growler from a keg, is there a way to maintain the carbonation and if so, for how long? Are there special caps?

That may be what he was talking about. That was about 20 years ago and my memory is not what it used to be. Just ask my wife. I have yet to keg but I do want to try it. Another question I have is if I fill a growler from a keg, is there a way to maintain the carbonation and if so, for how long? Are there special caps?

In a growler, carbonation may not last that long, depending on how well the caps seal. But for bottles, the carb will last just as when you buy a commercial beer that's been force carbed and then bottled.

I have a fun thing I love. I bought a "carbonator cap". You could make one, but basically it's just a keg post fitting for a soda bottle. You fill the soda bottle from the keg, add the carbonator cap and then give the soda bottle a blast of co2. You can even carb up a flat beverage that way- soda, beer, etc. I like to do it also when I keg, and have some beer left that won't fit in the keg. I put some of it in a 2L bottle, and put the carbonator cap on and carb it up! (You're not to do this with glass, as the glass may blow up!)

I take plastic soda bottles full of beer all the time, and they stay carbed up until you open them!

I believe once the co2 is in solution an the head some has a blanket AND barring a leaky keg plus leaving it at the same temperature it will stay indefinitely.

Thanks for the info. folks! I think I'll try a batch for kegging. First I want to make a couple more batches for bottling so if I screw up the keg, I'll have some home brew to fall back on.

I've been checking out you tube postings on kegging and beer guns. I really like the idea of using a beer gun to fill some bottles or a growler to take to a friend or family member. Also there seems to be many ways to carbonate the keg. It seems that the best way is to let it sit for a week at 20-30 psi. Is it necessary to let it sit this long to carbonate without rolling it on the floor?

I've been checking out you tube postings on kegging and beer guns. I really like the idea of using a beer gun to fill some bottles or a growler to take to a friend or family member. Also there seems to be many ways to carbonate the keg. It seems that the best way is to let it sit for a week at 20-30 psi. Is it necessary to let it sit this long to carbonate without rolling it on the floor?

That's not the "best" way, you'd probably overcarb your beer like that. When I need to carb my beer in a rush, I hook it up to double the recommended pressure for 48 hours (after the beer is at a normalized temperature) and then reduce the pressure to my preferred serving temperature.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

There is a carbonation chart that takes into account temperature and pressure. The "best" or most accurate way would be to hook it up to the preferred pressure for 3 weeks. At that point, you'll have your beer dialed into the exact carbonation level you want.

I just kegged for the first time (also first brew) and think that my experiences may be informative.

My setup:
* two 2.5G cornelius-style kegs
* one faucet
* one CO2 line

I will be doing half batches so I want to be able to smoothly switch from keg to keg to keg, so I thought force carbing would be best - and still do. I also thought that to do this as quickly as possible I would follow the instruction from Charlie's book. This meant turning up to 25 PSI and shaking. I would *really not recommend this.* It's quite likely I misread something, but I discovered it is really easy to overcarbonate 2.5G (or maybe just convince yourself you have) by shaking it. In an attempt to reduce pressure I used my manual blowoff valve and sprayed beer foam all over the place! :(

After a bit more reading I decided that shaking is okay, but I at least will be only keeping serving pressure while shaking. It's actually pretty neat to do. You shake the keg up pretty good and then pause and you can hear the regulator dump a bunch of CO2 to replace what got absorbed out of the head space. Then you shake again and pause again, etc. Without the increased pressure this can mean a lot of shaking. (I thought I was done and ended up drinking a pint of tasty enough but extremely flat beer.)

The most foolproof way is what has already been mentioned - just hooking up at serving pressure and waiting - but if you want to speed things up a bit I recommend you don't get too greedy like me. It can cause more of a headache than any Belgian Quad.

I store kegs refrigerated once carbonated and would think CO2 would come out of solution if stored at higher temps. So far none have lasted long enough to find out...;)

I store kegs refrigerated once carbonated and would think CO2 would come out of solution if stored at higher temps. So far none have lasted long enough to find out...;)

You are correct, some will come out. Thankfully this will increase head space pressure, which will help hold the rest in solution. When you drop the temp again the extra CO2 will get pushed back in. And if course there's always your "drink it real fast" technique. :-D

I was lucky enough to get some kegs from a neighbor who owns a local restaurant. The kegs had been hidden away in some covered corner of the restaurant before I got to them. Most we half full or 2/3 full, and all still maintained their pressure. When I pulled the relief valve I was pleased to know that after years of neglect these kegs still held true without leaks.

Needless to say I did some serious cleaning of them and replaced all the o-rings. But yes, I can vouch the pressure will last forever!

I have a question on bottling from the keg. I will be kegging my witbier and irish stout in a couple of days and plan on bottling some of it to give to friends. The question I have is since it will be cold when bottled, can it sit at room temp. for an indefinite time until re-chilled or will this alter or "skunk" the beer?

I have a question on bottling from the keg. I will be kegging my witbier and irish stout in a couple of days and plan on bottling some of it to give to friends. The question I have is since it will be cold when bottled, can it sit at room temp. for an indefinite time until re-chilled or will this alter or "skunk" the beer?

UV light skunks beer, so if the beer isn't UV light struck (such as in direct sunlight or in clear bottles) it won't skunk. Bottles can sit at room temp for quite a while without issues, but do just a little better at cellar temps or colder. I've had bottled homebrew in my basement for a couple of years that was fine, for example.

I was wondering how long a 5lb CO2 tank usually lasts. I kegged 5 gallons, forced carbed at 20psi for 3 days and served at 9psi since mid December. Just recently noticed my regulator is down below 5psi and tried to turn the pressure back up to 9 psi to no avail. The tank does feel light so wondering if it's empty. Just weird it stayed at 9psi for the month or so but now it went down.

I was wondering how long a 5lb CO2 tank usually lasts. I kegged 5 gallons, forced carbed at 20psi for 3 days and served at 9psi since mid December. Just recently noticed my regulator is down below 5psi and tried to turn the pressure back up to 9 psi to no avail. The tank does feel light so wondering if it's empty. Just weird it stayed at 9psi for the month or so but now it went down.

The tank has a stamp on the top part that is the empty weight. If the tank is aluminum, the weight should be 7.7 lbs. so when it's full its a little over 12 lbs. When I had mine filled, I weighed it when I got home on a bathroom scale and it was 12.5 lbs. Disconnect the tank and weigh it. You might want to use soapy water around the threaded areas to see if you have a leak.

UV light skunks beer, so if the beer isn't UV light struck (such as in direct sunlight or in clear bottles) it won't skunk. Bottles can sit at room temp for quite a while without issues, but do just a little better at cellar temps or colder. I've had bottled homebrew in my basement for a couple of years that was fine, for example.

After reading my question and response I think I need to rephrase it. I plan on bottling some beer from the kegs AFTER the beer has been carbonated. I plan on using a beer gun.

Thanks for the reply JB, the tank is new but the regulator is an old perlick regulator that came with a kegarator in my dad's house. I do plan on getting a new regulator eventually. But does a 5# tank normally last for 1 keg or should it last for more? I'd hate to think I have to exchange the tank for every keg.

Plus I do have the tank in the keezer too. I haven't searched this yet but I remember seeing a post about the difference between having the tank inside the keezer opposed to outside because of colder temps and the compressed CO2. Be easy on me, I took physics twice in college, not my strong point. Lol.

I still suspect the regulator but since it was free, had to give it a shot.

Thanks for the reply JB, the tank is new but the regulator is an old perlick regulator that came with a kegarator in my dad's house. I do plan on getting a new regulator eventually. But does a 5# tank normally last for 1 keg or should it last for more? I'd hate to think I have to exchange the tank for every keg.

Plus I do have the tank in the keezer too. I haven't searched this yet but I remember seeing a post about the difference between having the tank inside the keezer opposed to outside because of colder temps and the compressed CO2. Be easy on me, I took physics twice in college, not my strong point. Lol.

I just started kegging myself but years ago I had a tap system with an old fridge. It had a 5lb. air tank and I would get about 6-7 1/4 barrels from it. That being said, you should get an easy 10+ kegs. Not sure how much is used during the carbonation process but if you only got 1 keg from it then you have a leak somewhere. Did you put Teflon tape on the threads or did you just hook it up and turn it on? Check this first since it would be cheaper then buying a $50.00 regulator or easier then buying parts and making your own regulator as some people do. I think the people that buy the parts and make their own just like to do things like that. I don't go that far but I did buy another regulator and connected it to the one I had so now I can hook up two tanks and have two separate pressures from one tank. Didn't mean to go on but oh well. Let me know how it turned out.

I forgot to mention that on my old fridge system, the tank was kept in the fridge.

As long as the keg holds pressure, changing the temperature doesn't change the carbonation level of the beer inside the keg. The headspace pressure will increase with a temp increase, but that's about it.

One pound of CO2 should carbonate and serve between 5 and 10 gal of beer. This means you should get 5-10 corny kegs out of a 5# tank. You definitely have a leak somewhere. Once you get the tank refilled, fill up a spray bottle with soapy water (or star-san solution) and spray down all connections, keg lids, etc.

The only differences will be what the high pressure gauge reads (if you have one), and how quickly the regulator adjusts to adjustments. It doesn't have any effect on gas usage.

JuanMoore said:
As long as the keg holds pressure, changing the temperature doesn't change the carbonation level of the beer inside the keg. The headspace pressure will increase with a temp increase, but that's about it.

One pound of CO2 should carbonate and serve between 5 and 10 gal of beer. This means you should get 5-10 corny kegs out of a 5# tank. You definitely have a leak somewhere. Once you get the tank refilled, fill up a spray bottle with soapy water (or star-san solution) and spray down all connections, keg lids, etc.

The only differences will be what the high pressure gauge reads (if you have one), and how quickly the regulator adjusts to adjustments. It doesn't have any effect on gas usage.

Co2 is dissolved into solution more readily at a lower temperature and leaves solution at a higher temperature to equalize pressure differential. That is one of the reasons other besides gas expansion that the head space pressure increases. For example if you want to get lets say 2.7 volumes of co2 and you store your keg at 36 degrees you may only need 12psi but to maintain that same psi at let's say 60 degrees you may need to keep it at 20 psi to keep that volume I co2 in the solution of beer.

I kegged an Oktoberfest and let it carb to 12 psi for two weeks. Then I disconnected it and moved it to the lager fridge. Two days ago I poured a glass to check on it. One glass was enough to exhaust the headspace pressure, so I reconnected it to the CO2 and left it at room temp overnight. The pressure on my line, which has two other kegs connected, has been stable at 11 psi for weeks and weeks. But this afternoon the pressure on the line reads 18 psi. So,

Is this due to the keg warming from 34 to 74 degrees?

Does this mean that the pressure in the other two kegs is now 18 psi, and they are both overcarbed?

Thx for any advice!

In a growler, carbonation may not last that long, depending on how well the caps seal. But for bottles, the carb will last just as when you buy a commercial beer that's been force carbed and then bottled.

I have a fun thing I love. I bought a "carbonator cap". You could make one, but basically it's just a keg post fitting for a soda bottle. You fill the soda bottle from the keg, add the carbonator cap and then give the soda bottle a blast of co2. You can even carb up a flat beverage that way- soda, beer, etc. I like to do it also when I keg, and have some beer left that won't fit in the keg. I put some of it in a 2L bottle, and put the carbonator cap on and carb it up! (You're not to do this with glass, as the glass may blow up!)

I take plastic soda bottles full of beer all the time, and they stay carbed up until you open them!

I do this exact same thing. Especially when I know a keg is getting low. I fill up a 2 Liter bottle, cap it, carb it and put it in the door of my frige. It's especially good when you want to take 2 growlers worth on the road. Fill one growler up for first pours, top off the soda bottle with the other and whammo, perfect beer every time.

Or better yet, bring home a growler after a night of drinking, have a glass, but put the rest into a 2 liter soda bottle, cap off with your CO2 and you literally have that beer for as long as you want. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now.

Latest posts

Back