Son of a.....leak in the Keezer!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epateddy

Reaction score
Opened my keezer today and noticed a good 1/4" to 1/2" puddle on the bottom. Not good. Had some soggy 12 packs sitting down there. Here's what it looked like when I took everything out:

leak.jpg

It smelled a little like beer, but also had this really strong, almost fruit punch-like aroma. Is that what CO2 smells like?

I only had one keg in there and tried to pinpoint the leak. When I picked the keg up it felt much lighter than it should have. So I think I was definitely losing beer somewhere. I unhooked the dispensing line (picnic tap) and was able to tighten the post about a quarter turn. Hope that's what it was. Damn, such a shame to lose that beer you spend so much time making. I'll definitely be cranking down on those posts next time.

Any other areas I should be looking at?

Seems to be quite a bit of condensation on the inside too. But not enough to contribute much to the beer swamp - you would think. Any way to cut down on that?

Should mention that the picnic tap is temporary until I get the Perlicks installed.

Thanks as always for your thoughts, ideas and experience.

Cheers.

I had a leak at the same place but on the gas side a couple of weeks ago.
Snug it up and keep an eye on it. dry it off completely then use a paper towel to check for leaks for the first few hours. You can also overpressurize it for a couple of minutes to find the leak. After your satisfied bleed the co2 off to a normal level.

Opened my keezer today and noticed a good 1/4" to 1/2" puddle on the bottom.
It smelled a little like beer, but also had this really strong, almost fruit punch-like aroma. Is that what CO2 smells like?

I

Um. No CO2 smells like well Air which is to say not at all. The fruit punch smell is probably some bacteria in your kezzer at work (best guess). Sorry you lost beer. That is truely alcohol abused

Back