1.045 in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarbass

Reaction score
tried the first mini mash ever, Saison...made yeast stater 500 ML (too small?) bubbled fairly happy in primary, racked to Carboy after 7 days....i might mention that since in secondary, will give a bubble every 15 sec or so....anyway, it has been in secondary two weeks but the SG is at 1.045 the last two days (the OG was 1.065). should I add more yeast? (another starter? liquid? Dry?) or just screw the whole thing and bottle it and drink it? I really would appreciate any advice. thanks.

500ml might be a bit small, but it really depends on your original recipe and the strain of yeast used. Some saison strains are particularly noted for being slow workers, but it sounds like you might benefit from pitching a new, larger batch of yeast. What strain are you using?

In no way would I suggest resorting to bottling it as-is; I'd wager you'd end up with bombs with a bottling gravity that high.

Sounds like your starter, although a bit small, worked. I'd have left it in the primary. That said, how has you temp. control been? Saisons like it warm (80's and 90's)! You still have sugars to eat and yeast that you can try and roust. What yeast are you using and what temp. are you at?

If you are using a Saison strain, I think you may have racked to secondary too early. Some of the strains can take a month or more to reach FG, and IMO should be left in primary until stable FG is reached.

Whatever you do, DO NOT bottle it yet or you risk bottle bombs or at least way overcarbed beer, which will become a geyser when you open them.

If it were me, I would probably re-pitch with another Saison yeast or another Belgian yeast.

Temp has been too low also I guess...I'm in the Las Vegas Desert and it seemed like "warm" weather was here a few weeks ago but it has mostly been between 67 and 70 in my house I'm afraid. I used some Yyeast Saison something or other...its written down "somewhere"! but not here. Thank you for your response.

That's probably safest. Here's an online calculator for your refractometer readings.

Use the corrected final gravity portion. If you're numbers were not adjusted, it looks like you may be at 1.03 - still too high and I'd suggest warming it up as others have said.
http://onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

You are something else. Thank you so much! All I can say is Duh!

I wouldn't feel too bad. I made the same mistake when I bought my refractometer a few weeks ago. I had two different beers fermenting and was scouring through my entire brewing process trying to figure out why my FG's were so high. Then I found out the alcohol throws off the brix reading and you need to convert. You would think they'd put that in the directions....

Refractometer doesn't work right with alcohol its designed to measure h2o solutions. I was going nuts trying to figure out why all my fg's were in the mid 20's.

Back