When is diacetyl rest done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
I started diacetyl rest 3 days ago and I'm still hearing the air lock bubble every 5 seconds. Should I not take it off diacetyl rest until it meets the FG? Then move it to secondary for lagering? How long can I keep this on diacetyl rest?

When did you start the d-rest (how many days after pitching)? What was the gravity when you started the d-rest? What's your expected FG? Couple of thoughts ... You don't want to start a secondary until you've reached FG because the yeast will stop once you get down to lagering temps. If you you're doing the d-rest because you actually tasted diacetyl, then you probably should also taste to make sure the diacetyl has subsided before lowering temps.

When did you start the d-rest (how many days after pitching)? What was the gravity when you started the d-rest? What's your expected FG? Couple of thoughts ... You don't want to start a secondary until you've reached FG because the yeast will stop once you get down to lagering temps. If you you're doing the d-rest because you actually tasted diacetyl, then you probably should also taste to make sure the diacetyl has subsided before lowering temps.

I pitched the yeast 15 days ago, waited for fermentation to start (day 14)..then moved to 50 degrees. I started d-rest on day 12. OG was 1.050 and the FG is to be 1.008. This is my first lager and I followed the instructions I got with the kit. I haven't tried tasting it. If I taste it and the diacetyl has subsided, should I move it back down to 50 degrees until FG is met? Then move it to secondary and into lagering temps?

If I interpret what you're saying correctly, active fermentation started within a day of pitching. With the temp profile you used (start warm, wait for signs of fermentation, then drop temps), there's a pretty good chance diacetyl was made. Often people will do a d-rest without even tasting, just for insurance. I'd say that since you've had 14 days of fermentation it's not unlikely you've already reached your expected FG. But you should still taste and measure SG to see where things are. If you haven't reached FG, there's no need to drop the temp back to 50. Just leave it at the d-rest temp till it hits FG. You definitely should wait till the beer reaches FG (or reasonably close to it), before dropping to lagering temps.

If I interpret what you're saying correctly, active fermentation started within a day of pitching. With the temp profile you used (start warm, wait for signs of fermentation, then drop temps), there's a pretty good chance diacetyl was made. Often people will do a d-rest without even tasting, just for insurance. I'd say that since you've had 14 days of fermentation it's not unlikely you've already reached your expected FG. But you should still taste and measure SG to see where things are. If you haven't reached FG, there's no need to drop the temp back to 50. Just leave it at the d-rest temp till it hits FG. You definitely should wait till the beer reaches FG (or reasonably close to it), before dropping to lagering temps.

Thanks Hex for the feedback! I appreciate it. I just checked the Gravity and it was at 1.017 so I still have a ways to go. I tasted it and I did not notice any diacetyl. I will check it again in a couple days. When it hits my FG (or close) I will move it to secondary and drop to lagering temps.

Back