Fast Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coadtoad

Reaction score
I started a batch of ale 2 days ago. It femented like crazy for the first 24 hours and then from then on there was almost no activity in the airlock. The temperature was constant at about 72F during that time. I pre-hydrated and proofed the yeast before adding it. Is it normal for active fermentation to be over that quickly? (I'm new at this)

It will be fine. Now you have to leave it alone for 2 1/2-3 weeks to let the yeasties clean up after themselves. You do not need to proof your brewers yeast. That is for bread yeast.:mug:

Or you could just drink it. The old hillbilly who taught me to brew routinely bottled a couple days after brewing if airlock activity ceased. Often those batches would condition quickly, too. We would be drinking them just a week after brewing!

Did you take a hydrometer reading before pitching the yeast? If so, I would take another reading now.

It will be fine. Now you have to leave it alone for 2 1/2-3 weeks to let the yeasties clean up after themselves. You do not need to proof your brewers yeast. That is for bread yeast.:mug:

Thanks for the reply. I was reading John Palmer's book, and it recommended re-hydrating and then mixing in some sugar to get it going. Isn't that "proofing" or am I missing something?

From what I understand, youdo not want your yeast to start on (simple sugars). They wont want to eat the more complex sugar chains in your wort.

I just rehydrate and pitch if im using dry yeast.:mug:

Thanks for the reply. I was reading John Palmer's book, and it recommended re-hydrating and then mixing in some sugar to get it going. Isn't that "proofing" or am I missing something?

Rehydrating is an easy step and shouldn't be avoided. Depending on the wort, you can actually shock the yeast a little during this stage if you don't. There is a reason the manufactures recommend rehydrating.

What yeast did you use? Some yeast, like a packet of S-04 can rip through a wort extremely fast. I'm sure you're fine, I'd do a Hydrometer sample after 5-7 days and then repeat that 2 days later to see if it stays the same. Depending on what your brewing you can leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks or more for clearing and conditioning. If it is a really low OG brew you might be ready to go in 10 days. It is all part of the learning experience, I always advise new brewers to hydro sample & taste as they learn.

Sugar proofing from Palmer is outdated info from before he knew everything, now you can hang on every word he says (I kid the Palmer). Many people just dry pitch with no problems, I prefer to rehydrate.

What yeast did you use? Some yeast, like a packet of S-04 can rip through a wort extremely fast. I'm sure you're fine, I'd do a Hydrometer sample after 5-7 days and then repeat that 2 days later to see if it stays the same. Depending on what your brewing you can leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks or more for clearing and conditioning. If it is a really low OG brew you might be ready to go in 10 days. It is all part of the learning experience, I always advise new brewers to hydro sample & taste as they learn.

Sugar proofing from Palmer is outdated info from before he knew everything, now you can hang on every word he says (I kid the Palmer). Many people just dry pitch with no problems, I prefer to rehydrate.

I used Munton's dry yeast because it came with the kit.

I used Munton's dry yeast because it came with the kit.

Worst yeast I ever used was the Muntons that comes with kits. Switch to Safale S-05 or S-04 and you will be a happy camper in the future. I still have a pack of Muntons in the fridge from years ago, I save it for ??? laughs

Worst yeast I ever used was the Muntons that comes with kits. Switch to Safale S-05 or S-04 and you will be a happy camper in the future. I still have a pack of Muntons in the fridge from years ago, I save it for ??? laughs

Boil it and use it as food for the good yeasts... :D

Back