Montrachet Yeast Alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmac00

Reaction score
So i want to make Apfelwein with the original recipe. Problem is, i can't seem to find anywhere to purchase the Montrachet yeast. I don't know much about yeasts, so if someone could tell me what would be equivalent to the montrachet, that would be great.

I can order locally from this line of yeast.
Lalvin Strains

or i can order from these guys...
Homebrew Supplies

Wyeast Products

I've already made a modified batch of the apfelwein using brown sugar and Nottingham yeast and it turned out good IMO, but i don't have anything to compare it to as i've yet to make the original recipe. And with not being able to do the original, i only made a half batch in my smaller carboy. So i want to make a full 23L batch now, but want to try the original. ANY help would be appreciated as i want to start this soon...Thanks in advance. :mug:

I used Premier Cuvee for my last batch and it tasted EXACTLY the same. I doubt the winemakers will say they are the same but in this case it would seem there were...at least in my experience. Made by the same company as Montrachet.

:tank:

Ok, maybe i'll give the Lalvin EC-1118 a try and see how that goes. I'm going away for the holidays for about 3 weeks, and i want to start a new batch before leaving, that way i'm not waiting and thinking about it as much...hahhahaha.

I have used the 1118 yeast in the past with excellent results. This latest batch I tasted last night after exactly 1 month was made with 1lb. corn sugar and 1lb. of brown sugar and I fermented it with 1116 yeast. It is excellent with a slight apple palate a just a bit tart like a good German table wine. Gonna give it another month to 6 weeks before I bottle (carbed) this one.
AP

Excellent!!! Thanks all for your help. I'm always skeptical in using different stuff from the original recipe in fear of it not turning out, but with others having good results, i went ahead and used the 1118 yeast....When i get back from the holidays, i'll just have to bottle it up with minimum wait times...:mug:

Back