It's going to happen!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been whining about root beer since I joined HBT. I've asked around, and everyone says it'll be nasty...but after having had Summersolstices Ginger Braggot, I've decided that everyone is wrong.
I'm Making Root Beer Braggot.

Here is the grain bill for the 3 gallon Test Batch:
5# 6 row.
8 oz crystal 40
8 oz cara-dex

Mashing HIGH....159
Adding just a touch of bittering hops....shooting for an Ibu around 10 - 15 (We'll let Beer Smith do the siffer'en)
Add in 6# Honey

Using Ale Yeast....(TBD) to try and crap it out SWEET! Then when fermentation is over, I'm going to add Root Beer extract! IF it's not sweet enough, I'm planning on a healthy shot of Lactose to help with mouth feel, as well as to sweeten it up a bit.

This may require the purchase of a secondary regulator. If it's good, it'll be on tap. If it sucks, It's going into bottles.

This will be a bit dry for a root beer, and a bit sweet for a braggot, but I think it'll turn out pretty tasty.

still think this will be something I dont attempt to make myself, but way to go with the F it all Im doin it attiitude, haha.

Hope its tasty, homebrew on tap at BK's is just another reason for me to get out to CO.

In for the results. I respect anyone who says f it and does what sounds good to them. Keep us updated, and you know I like pictures.

For gosh sakes BK, you've seen what some of these folks try to ferment. I don't even think root beer is all that weird after reading some of these threads the last couple years. :D

For gosh sakes BK, you've seen what some of these folks try to ferment. I don't even think root beer is all that weird after reading some of these threads the last couple years. :D

Yeah after seeing that one thing on fermenting feces :eek:, nothing is too much anymore. :D

yeah, after seeing people ask about recipes for everything from Chocolate, to cheetos, to habanero peppers...that one actually sounds pretty good to me. Please keep us posted.

Ive mashed in!
Changed it up a bit....4# of 6 row, 8 oz cara-pills, and 8 oz of 40L.
Mashing at 155, and will add 12# of honey tomorrow after ferment has hit full force.

Ive mashed in!
Changed it up a bit....4# of 6 row, 8 oz cara-pills, and 8 oz of 40L.
Mashing at 155, and will add 12# of honey tomorrow after ferment has hit full force.

OG from the mash was 1.027 (not bad for 5 gallons of sweet wort from 5# of grains?)
Notty was bubbling nicely this morning, so I added 6# honey 10 hours after pitching, and another 6#'s at 24 hours. The funny thing is that this smells like a nice warm sopapilla!

that sounds really yummy already. Can't wait to watch this progress.

Awesome...sounds great. What's it taste like? Give us some details :)

Um...I don't think I'd suggest using Sasafrass for one important reason: "it was once widely used as a food additive in root beer, sassafras tea, and other common goods, but was banned by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) after its carcinogenicity in rats was discovered. Today, safrole is also banned for use in soap and perfumes by the International Fragrance Association."

Carbing is going SLOW! Turns out that the root beer extract acted as a clearing agent and within 24 hours had the beer super clear in the bottles. My theory is that it settled out all of the yeast. Last weekend I inverted all of the bottles and will try one again this weekend.
The up side is that it tastes pretty good flat...but a lot of alcohol burn...13% ya know.

The color is someting odd too. the root beer extract color settled out, and the beer is a very attractive copper color.
Go figure.

Glad to hear the update. Would love to see pics of that color. Especially when it's carbed and in a nice pint ;)

Yeah, the color sounds very cool. I'd love to see it too....have you thought about force carbing at all in a keg?? That would get the job done for you.

Back