I'd this necessarily a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeShmo

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20130119_085509.png

This is (or maybe was) a peak pale ale from a kit at my local brew shop. There hasn't been much action in there for the past couple weeks and now after taking hydrometer readings, I'm getting this foam on the top and fermentation send to be now active again, according to tge bubbling action in my airlock. Any chance this is just from the star-san and no big deal? Fg is supposed to be 1.10 to 1.12. I was at 1.17 two days ago and 1.16 this morning

Well, if it's supposed to be around 1.011, and it was 1.17 2 days ado, and is a point lower, clearly you must have had a stuck fermentation, and something, probably a rise in ambient temps, have woken up the yeast to finish the job. I don't know why you'd worry about it.

Thanks rev. I worry because it's my first brew and don't really know how things should be proceeding at this point.

I agree. You might consider moving it to a room temp location (around 68F or so) to help it finish. You could swirl the carboy a bit to resuspend some yeast, looks like you have plenty of head space for that...just be careful moving that glass carboy around.

70 is a bit warm for the first few days, but after fermentation is complete it's a great conditioning temperature.

I hope you're keeping that carboy covered or in a dark place. Otherwise,UV rays will skunk it. Bit the temp being a bit higher after initial fermentation is a good thing. It helps the yeast get their second wind & finish up in the expected FG range. It's getting there,be patient.:mug:

I keep the light off in the basement except when I'm down there willing it to be ready to bottle

I keep the light off in the basement except when I'm down there willing it to be ready to bottle

Willing it to be ready to bottle? Sounds like a jedi mind trick. "You want to be bottled. You don't want to sit in this carboy any longer"...

Haha, "willing it to be ready for bottling" is pretty much what I do so far. It was meant as a joke, but I do honestly go down there right after work every day and stare at it like it's gonna do a cool trick or something

Ahhhhhh, just re-read your post. I thought you were telling me to bottle it now, lmao. Works, this jedi mind trick does

Latest posts

Back