Sugar Content or Carb count in Ed Wort's Apfelwine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been putting my brewing on hold for a while because I've went on a low sugar / low carb diet. I'm down 20lbs so far so thats good!

Just wondering if anyone has any idea how many carbs per serving a glass of apfelwein would have?

Thank you!

If it's unsweetened, and dry, there were be very little carbs in it. Like 0-1 for a glass. If it has some residual sugars, you could check the SG and do some calculations to figure out the carbs.

There are calorie and carb counters online that can give you a good idea. Alcohol metabolizes into sugar and thus is a carbohydrate. Generally, a rule of thumb for calories is approx. 100 calories per glass of wine or shot of spirits, but that doesn't count mixers or sugars that are added.

One glass per evening (6 oz) = roughly 100 cal, all carbs, and if carbs are 7/cal then you're at about 14 or so. But go look on google and double check that.

On every low-carb diet I know of, alcohol doesn't count as carbs. Sure, there are calories in there, but alcohol is metabolized differently than sugar/starch and so dry wine doesn't have carbs that are counted. Maybe 1-2 grams total for a full glass of wine.

On every low-carb diet I know of, alcohol doesn't count as carbs. Sure, there are calories in there, but alcohol is metabolized differently than sugar/starch and so dry wine doesn't have carbs that are counted. Maybe 1-2 grams total for a full glass of wine.

Agree. But don't want to turn this into another calorie debate. The Edwort's batch I made was amazingly dry, like a dry white wine. I thought it was weird. Then I thought it was delicious. Then, I also had the thought that it was low carb. So I drank more and now it's gone.

Good catch on that. I went to wine lovers.com which has a nutritional chart for wine! (I love the Internet!!!). At any rate, 5 oz has 2.4g of carb for a red (average, as each wine would differ) and dessert wines go up to about 3. But they do say that low carb diets aren't compatible with wine imbibing. After all, who measures out a splash more than 1/2 C of wine and stops there? (Not me, that's for sure!). If you're going to make apfelwine and also keep your low carb diet you'll simply have to figure in how many carbs are in the glass size you drink and work around it. A glass a few times a week won't busy your diet unless you're taking liberties elsewhere OR you have issues with prediabetes and are supposed to keep your glycemic index low. In that case, be sure and have it with a meal that is substantial enough to stretch out the absorption of the drink.

I do not think there will ever be a flat answer because there are different variables, at least in my head.

This is the most consistent response I have ever found, and there are many different answers depending on where you look... but the five ounce:five grams is referenced on various sites.

As taken from,
http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkeley/wellness-letters/alcohol-and-the-low-carb-myth/
.... Grapes are made into wine, most of the fruit sugars (carbs) convert to alcohol, but a few carbs remain. A 5-ounce glass of dry red wine typically contains 110 calories, 5 grams of carbohydrates, and about 13 grams of alcohol (which accounts for 91 of the calories). A 5-ounce glass of wine supplies roughly the same amount of alcohol and number of calories as a 12-ounce light beer or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits.

If you are going low carb, then opt for distilled liquor, no carbs if left as is.

Back