Help-SWMBO is gone for evening-want to brew-limited ingredients - what can I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino17

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

So, SWMBO has gone for the night, took the car, left me by myself, so...I should brew!
However, grain supply is really low. (SWMBO will return with 100lbs!!) I'll list what I have on hand, maybe someone can suggest a combination? (5g batch sparge)

3.5 lbs 2-Row
2 lbs wheat malt
2 lbs light crystal
1 lbs amber malt
.5 lbs munich
2.5 lbs flaked rice
2 lbs black patent
2 lbs chocolate malt

Hops
5oz Chinook
2oz East Kent
2oz Northern Brewer
1oz Cascade
1oz Nugget
1oz Tettnanger

For Yeast I have:
safale -04
safale US-56
Safelager -23

So, anyone have any ideas?

Rhino

Use the 2 row and wheat, The 056 yeast, Kent and Tett. Should make a decent lawn mower.

Drunkensatyr said:
Use the 2 row and wheat, The 056 yeast, Kent and Tett. Should make a decent lawn mower.

You could add some of the rice to up the abv.

Ok, have HLT heating right now. I'm a little concerned about a stuck sparge with the wheat and rice at about 50%. If I add .5 each of crystal and munich, it get's the rice and wheat closer to 40%. But would the addition of crystal and munich funk the flavour up?

I'm thinking ... 3.5 lbs 2-Row
2.0 lbs wheat
1.5 lb flaked rice
.5 lbs light crystal
.5 lbs munich

1oz East Kent @ 60 min
1oz Tett @ 20 min

That gives approx. 4.1 ABV, 4.1 SRM and 29.7 IBU.

Guess I'll give it a shot.

Cheers,

Rhino

Well, It's 10:30pm, and the brew is in the fermentor.

I knew my gut feeling was correct. The 1.5 lbs of flaked rice combined with the 2 lbs of wheat was more than my little stainless steel braid could handle, and I wound up with a stuck sparge. The rice flakes really break down in the mash!

So what was the final recipe? Please post how it turns out.

This is what I would have brewed. JFTR.

American Pale Hybrid

3.50 lb Pale Malt 38.9 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L 22.2 %
2.00 lb Wheat Malt 22.2 %
1.00 lb Amber Malt 11.1 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt - 10L 5.6 %

0.50 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 10.0 IBU

1 Pkgs SafAle US-56

Est abv- 4.7%

- WW

I don't know how pale that recipe would've been. If you like really malty, chewy beer, that looks like a good recipe. I think Rhino17's recipe looks better, although I've never tried brewing with rice - need to try that.

I don't know it seems like the right mix to me. An American Pale with a twist of Europe (hybrid). The SRM is estimated to be 9.8 and the hoppiness is right there too.

Depending on how you mash will determine how chewy the beer is. My experince has been that flaked rice adds abv, no flavor, with a crisper finish.

I am sure both would be good, but I would go with mine cuz I am a little biased.

But that's brewing.

- WW

WW - you're probably right. I was just thinking about that much crystal malt. I usually use darker crystal malts, and typically wouldn't put 2 lbs in a recipe. It is only 20L, so it might not have the heavy maltiness that I was thinking. I've got one batch bottled right now with 9lbs of maris otter and 1 lb crystal 40L, and it's thick. I really like it, but a lot of beer drinkers might not.

That sounds wonderful. You are right some might not and others will. That is what makes brewing so special- you can taylor it to your needs and wants.

You will have to send me a bottle of that stuff. I have a blueberry wheat that is just in the bottle almost 2 weeks.

Wanna trade?

- WW

I've never done that before, but sure. If you're serious, send me a PM with your addy and how you generally package one/some up to be shipped. :fro:

Give me until next week. Got some things going on but I am serious. This would be neat.

I will package up some and send it to you and you can use the same packaging and send me some back. As long as I can trust ya!

Cool! I will be in touch.

- WW

I would have done a gallon recipe of IPA with the ounce of Chinook and the pound of amber malt because I am a n00b and I fear the all grain. ;)

Back