grapefruit pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lametrout

Reaction score
Grapefruit pale ale is what im looking to do but most of all the recipes are for an ipa... fiance not a big fan so i want to do a pale ale. if i can get a good grapefruit taste without zest am i loking for sicome or centennial hops? ie only done on kit and i just want to kinda use a recipe now.

Grapefruit pale ale is what im looking to do but most of all the recipes are for an ipa... fiance not a big fan so i want to do a pale ale. if i can get a good grapefruit taste without zest am i loking for sicome or centennial hops? ie only done on kit and i just want to kinda use a recipe now.

To get the nice grapefruit aroma, I would say to dry hop with a few ounces of whole leaf Citra. My pale ale has a fantastic grapefruit aroma and nice soft bitterness to it.

I know "Brooklyn Brew" has a Grapefruit Ale recipe ... I think its not an IPA but I'm not 100% sure. I have their book @ home (which I'm not) I will look it up for you when I get home if I remember.

I made a batch of the Brooklyn Grapefruit honey ale last weekend. Definitely more of a pale ale. They use grapefruit peels to get the flavor.

I also have the brooklyn brewshop book, the recipe is as follows

6.75lbs English Pale malt, .5 pound Victory malt, .5 pound caramel 10 malt, .5 pound caramel 20 malt, .75 pound torrified wheat 60 minute mash at 152* with 2.5 gallons of water. 5 gallons for sparging

1/2 ounce of columbus hops 1 ounce of Amarillo divided in halves 1 pound clear Belgian candi sugar 1 1/4 cups honey plus another cup at bottling English ale yeast such as Safale s-04

You need the peel of 5 grapefruits which y ou will then put in the oven directly on a baking sheet at 250 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until they are dry or the peel begins to brown

Add the columbus hops at the start of the boil. Add Half of the amarillo after 30 minutes, the grapefruit peel after 55 minutes and the last of the amarillo at 59 minutes. At flame out add the Candi sugar and honey and stir to dissolve.

the instructions also note that if amarillo isn't available to try cascade or centennial hops in its place

Good luck finding Citra hops, these hops are always sold out and cost twice as much as other C-hops because of the demand. I stick to less used hops like Columbus and Falconer's Flight for my Pale Ales.

The sites say Ahtanum is the sub for Amarillo hops now. I love the smell of them. I also used Ahtanum & Stirling in my APA I've got in bottles 8 days now.

thats recipe looks good but im not set of for all grain on extract brewing .... it sounds really good. could i use 6.6 lbs of a pale extract instead?

thats recipe looks good but im not set of for all grain on extract brewing .... it sounds really good. could i use 6.6 lbs of a pale extract instead?
I've never done extract, I started with all grain from a 1 gallon brooklyn brew shop kit. immediately jumped up to a 5 gallon all grain setup. I highly recommend it. i use a 10gallon cooler for my mash/lauter tun

Back