Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine it would impart a slight apple flavor. In that case what's the point? Just make some cider.....

I haven't washed any yeast yet and was going to give it a shot. I know it would probably have some apple flavor just wondering how much.

Hey Mike, where upstate are you located? I saw you're using Wegmans juice so you have the be west of Utica.

Update on my Carmel Apple Hard Cider. Took a reading today at Day 7 and it was 1.025 with temp adjust. Took a small taste and not to bad. Even talked my husband into tasting and he agreed. Just might have to make a straight apple wine after this.

ShelleyDickison said:
Update on my Carmel Apple Hard Cider. Took a reading today at Day 7 and it was 1.025 with temp adjust. Took a small taste and not to bad. Even talked my husband into tasting and he agreed. Just might have to make a straight apple wine after this.

Apfelwein is a different taste due to the wine yeast, but go for it as long as you're going to backsweeten. Otherwise it's appley white wine.

I like gummies...so, at a candy store this evening, I picked up a small bag of "granny smith sour gummies." I threw one of these guys into a glass and poured a bottle of the Carmel Apple ciders on top of it.....throughout the drink it made it...interesting. Can't say I recommend it but I can't say I don't either. :)

Mike, I have had many people tell me I need to start selling this stuff. Well done, sir!

Just had another bottle. Gave a few away and all enjoyed it. Now if only I had s KISS 2.0 recipe lol

I just made this a few weeks ago and put into the keg today. It tasted awesome uncarbed and warm.

I just pulled a sample off the keg just to try it and it was really thick, like the syrup settled to the bottom. Anyone else have this problem with kegging this?

I just started this recipe. I used champagne yeast so I worry there. I am also just doing a (1) gallon batch to test it out. If it comes out wrong I won't lose to much. Anyone else use a different yeast and have an ok outcome?

Thanks for the recipe by the way. This is my first attempt at brewing so I'm kinda "toying" around.

I'm sure I'll come up with some questions soon. Best of luck to everyone and enjoy your Labor Day.

I was wondering how Carmel flavoring would do in this. Ya know like the Carmel flavor you put in your coffee? Any thoughts?

I just need to figure out how to better mix the syrup in.

I am on the same page. In a previous post, someone mentioned using a "whip" that is commonly used in wine degassing and having no issues. Basically, I just stirred, filled 9 bottles (one layer on the bottle tree), stirred again, filled 9, stirred....

There is still separation and you will see some of the carmel syrup on the bottom of the bottle when using that method. However, you can swirl around in the bottles and then pour (like in a Fransikaner)

My first batch I DIDN'T stir and my last 4-5 bottles had a LOT of syrup in them. This time it was WAY more evenly distribute. The "believer" from tonight wanted the remnants from the bottle in her second one :)

So far, I haven't picked up a whip so I'm not sure if there are any other methods out there.

I am kegging so it is a little different than bottles. When I kegged I racked onto the syrup and 2 cans AJ concentrate. I stirred it all up pretty good before sealing up the keg, it was fine at that time but then it settled. I think it will settle then most of it will come out in the first few pours. If that happens I hope the flavor will still remain. I might also try mixing the syrup with the AJ concentrate ahead of time to try and thin it out.

I don't understand the settling problem....I'm not doubting it happens, just don't understand why. Sugar is highly soluble and should stay in solution once it gets in solution, unless very highly concentrated. I warm my syrup in the microwave prior to adding to cider. I've made 3 batches and have not yet had an issue.

I was going to suggest what I'm planning on doing for my first Carmel apple batch. I'm going to put the Carmel mixture in a double boiler and add a few of the cans of AJC to thin it out. That way I'm not actually boiling the Carmel and everything that goes in the double boiler goes directly into the bottling bucket.

Also, anyone fermented to total dryness first? I'm imagining this is super sweet (and delicious) based on the existing recipe. I'm trying to curb the sweetness a little bit and the thought was to dry it out, add the syrup and base the number of AJC cans on my desired sweetness.

Okay. So today is bottling day for me. And I'm curious, prior to adding the caramel and canned juice, is the fermenting part 1 supposed to taste like a crisp white wine? Its actually not bad, but just a flavor I was not expecting.

Okay. So today is bottling day for me. And I'm curious, prior to adding the caramel and canned juice, is the fermenting part 1 supposed to taste like a crisp white wine? Its actually not bad, but just a flavor I was not expecting.

Pretty much. It will continue to "dry out" if left to continue fermenting as well if you want a different flavor profile...a tad more tart. Like an apfelwine.

Right on. This is my first cider. I'm glad its progressing then.

At least you're going to get a good cider out of your first. Mine first was so bad I tossed it all, my second......just drinkable almost a year later. Super dry.

Mike's, on the other hand, has made lots of people happy! You picked a winner for sure for your first.

I'm thinking about racking onto the syrup in another carboy next time and letting it ferment for a day or 2. Thinking the fermentation will mix up the syrup and if I only let it go a day or so it hopefully will retain the flavor.

And then youll be bottling an actively fermenting cider. I think you could use dissolved brown sugar, concentrate and about a 1/4 cup of Carmel flavor you would put In you coffee. At least this is what I plan on doing......

Welp. Ended up with about an extra beer and a half without bottles. So I had to try it out, and i must say I'm very happy with it. Let it carb and cool, and this will be DELICIOUS!!!

Thanks for the recipe Mike!

And then youll be bottling an actively fermenting cider. I think you could use dissolved brown sugar, concentrate and about a 1/4 cup of Carmel flavor you would put In you coffee. At least this is what I plan on doing......

I am kegging not bottling, but even if I wasn't with this recipe you are bottling an active fermentation unless you were to let it dry completely out or use sulfites.

So I've read the first 6 pages and I can't wait any longer. My questions may have already been answered, but I'm eager to get this going. I intend to follow the recipe as close as possible to achieve the acclaimed character of this, but I don't want to bottle condition. I keg my beers and would prefer to stop fermentation when It still has a little residual sweetness. I haven't used campden tablets in brewing, I assume they kill off the yeast. Has anyone done this recipe with force carbonation in a keg? I don't mind doing keg conditioning, I just want to control it to avoid over carbonation. Killing off the yeast and force carbonation seems to be the only sure way to control that.

One thing I also want in this (since I am a beer brewer) is mouthfeel, head retention and lace. Has anyone experimented with Malto-Dextrine for these characteristics?

janson745 said:

Did you use Nottingham?

I did not... only had Munton's on hand and didn't feel like the hour drive to my LHBS was worth it just for Notty.

But I was curious and tested after only 1 day in the bottle, Holy wow it was amazing. I will definitely use Nottingham for the next batch though, and compare/contrast.

Also, anyone fermented to total dryness first? I'm imagining this is super sweet (and delicious) based on the existing recipe. I'm trying to curb the sweetness a little bit and the thought was to dry it out, add the syrup and base the number of AJC cans on my desired sweetness.

I didn't go completely dry.....about 1.005, then I did as you suggested and found 3 cans AJC was plenty sweet for my tastes.

My first 5 gallon batch which was:
- 5 gallons of store brand, no preservatives apple juice
- About 3lbs of brown sugar (started with 2lbs, but wanted an OG of 1.70)
- pitched Red Star Montrachet yeast

just hit the two week mark on Wednesday and I pulled a sample to test FG.
It was at 1.006, so I think I will let it run til Saturday (when I will have more time to get into the back sweetening anyway). Tasted my sample last night after it chilled down and it should be a perfect base. Nice and dry with no strong yeast or sour tastes. I don't like a sweet cider, but want to impart the carmel apple character to this so I'm thinking of adding 2 cans of concentrate and half of the carmel syrup called for in the original recipe.

Has anyone tried anything similar? Just wondering how sweet that will turn out.

I don't like a sweet cider, but want to impart the carmel apple character to this so I'm thinking of adding 2 cans of concentrate and half of the carmel syrup called for in the original recipe.

You're about five days in front of me. I'm planning on doing the exact same thing next week. Sorry I can't add input beforehand but let me know how it goes!

I don't like a sweet cider, but want to impart the carmel apple character to this so I'm thinking of adding 2 cans of concentrate and half of the carmel syrup called for in the original recipe.

Cut back on the concentrate if you wish, but don't cut back on the caramel syrup mix. This is what gives this cider its unique signature.

Thanks UpstateMike, I'm not going to discount advice from the recipe creator!

I will do the whole batch of carmel syrup and start with one can of concentrate, give it a quick taste and go from there to figure out where I want to end up sweetness wise.

smythe012, if you still need input on Saturday I will let you know what I end up adding.

Thanks again.

So Mike, I've only been bottle carbing for less than 3 full days and i was planning on pasteurizing tonight as my plastic bottle feels tight enough, but I just had 2 gushers that lost about 2-3 oz out of each bottle. Is it too late to pasteurize? Should I cold crash? I plan on keeping all of this batch to myself if that makes any difference.

Back