Growlers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHhomebrewer

Reaction score
Will soon be kegging my beers and have got a few requests for growlers. What have people used to seal the growlers to keep the beer fresh?

Just a cap, if you fill it all the way and cap on foam you should be fine. I've found filling 22oz bottles and capping them on foam is even better. Looks good, you are ensured of a solid seal and you don't have to give out so much beer just so people can try a batch. :)

Once you cap it how long will the beer stay carbonated. Great idea with the 22 oz bottles.

No reason a bottle with a real cap wouldn't last as long as a bottle conditioned beer, only without the sediment. As for a growler I guess it depends on how good your lid is. The downside with a full growler is once it is opened the clock is ticking. Even a half gallon from the local brewery will start to flatten out on me in a day, two tops.

There are some great threads on bottling from a keg which applies to both growlers and bottles. Sanitation is still key and proper prep makes a huge difference. I was amazed at how big a difference chilling everything made the last time I bottled some for a coworker. I'll be doing that every time from here on out.

Counter pressure filling will keep things carbonated for a week+ if you keep it cold.
I also like to use 20oz soda bottles for samples when somebody isn't sure they'll like it or not.

Back