biab temperature monitoring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to brewing and plan on starting w/biab and I'm wondering how to monitor temperature. I saw the stickied thread w/the long stemmed thermometer in the top however I plan on starting with 5 gallon batches in the penrose kettle and I'm wondering if a long stemmed thermometer will have enough reach or if I should have an outlet drilled in the kettle for one. If so, how high up should it be?

WTF IS A biab???? .... brew in a bag? this is prob why you havnt had any responses. wtf is biab?

( sorry in a less drunk way. what is biab. if you provide more information we would love to help )

but i like this ire psiresponse ; D

Problem with having a thermo installed in the keg mixed with BIAB is that you will potentially rip the bag on the probe end. Try using one of the digital probe thermos with the cable attached, like for a BBQ or oven. Or a fast read long stem digital which you could put into the mash and remove for fast reads.

Yea i htknk th emorst last mpost ins right. a digital prob would work best for you. i should stop drinkging.

I used my keggle with the thermometer in the side and it worked fine but you do have to be careful but if you have a digital thermometer it would work better.

What temperature are you checking? When I biab, I use a junky glass thermometer and when at temps, put the lid on, wrap it up in an old blanket and walk away for an hour. I usually only lose 1 - 2°.
I've not biab in the winter, the coldest it's been was probably around 45°F outside, so that might factor in.

I'm not familiar with the penrose kettle or your method of heating, but with a 30 qt propane turkey fryer, this works well enough.

I have done 5 gal. BIAB batches in a 62 qt. Bayou Class pot and I just use a digital hand held with about a 5-6" probe. I check at the beginning and then about half way through mash.

Get the probe down into the middle of the grain bag. I ususlly use two thermometers, one in the middle of the grain, and one in the liquid surrounding the bag. The liquid temperature can vary from the grain temp wildly. I have the bag down in the liquid, with the top open and clipped to the edges of the pot. That way I can stir and leave the digital temp probe in the grain. Make sure you get it down in the middle, but don't brick your digital probe if it isn't sealed.

I use a digital thermometer with the cabled probe like for a BBQ. it even has a remote unit so I can go back inside if it's freezing outside (or soon to be a freaking oven in the south). works great. even in sub freezing temps (24F was coldest O brewed in) with the kettle wrapped in a sleeping bag I only lost 4 degrees over 90 minutes.

I use a thermometer installed in the thermosight at the bottom of my kettle and a floating thermometer at the top. I 've seen hotter temps at the top than in the settled grain. I'll usually give it a stir midway through the mash.

this is how I BIAB 5 gal batches. Stick digital thermometer in mash, close lid and monitor accurate temp readings. Very convenient, much better than glass or rod type thermometrs since you don't have to open it to check temp. Quite accurate too if you calibrate it, instant read. Was like $14 at Walmart, has alarm, timer and all bells and wissels.

_MG_3659.jpg

Paraordnance, what brand is that? I'm in the market for a new digital, as my last one bricked during my last brew.

What does it mean to "brick" your thermometer. During last brew, i used new thermometer...worked fine during mash, but when I went to use it later to check cooling, it was reading 106F for the ambient temp. It is a digital on with a probe, and I put the probe in the middle of the grain bag.

Sorry, "to brick" is a geek term, usually associated with cell phones or other hardware that means the device in question is so damaged that it's nothing more than an expensive paperweight.

rfavors said:
worked fine during mash, but when I went to use it later to check cooling, it was reading 106F for the ambient temp. It is a digital on with a probe, and I put the probe in the middle of the grain bag.

That's what happened to me. I'm pretty sure I got the cord wet. I can't seem to find an inexpensive thermometer probe with a waterproof cord.

I do BIAB in my SS pot. I throw in all of my grains, stir for 30 seconds, cover the pot and let it sit. I get to desired temp based on temp calculations this way. I open it to stir every 15 minutes and double check temp by inserting a quick read digital thermometer ($15 from LHBS). Occasionally I need to heat for a few minutes but other times it's fine for the 60-90 minute mash. No need for a fancy thermometer.

Paraordnance, what brand is that? I'm in the market for a new digital, as my last one bricked during my last brew.

its says "Starfrit" on box. I fried previous digital one while mashing so for this one I decided to keep box and receipt close by in case of return but its still hanging on! :D

Ok so, devils advocate here...

If you COULD moniter your mash during your BIAB mash, and halfway through your mash your temp was too low - What in jeebus name would you do about it, and how the heck do you expect to improve it?

I mean come on - I have done 20-30 BIAB batches, never having monitered during my mash. I hit my target, it holds for 30 secs, I lid it and either wrap it in a coat/towel/sweater or stuff it in my oven. I lose around 1-2 degrees, woopie ding.

Now, IF my temp was "all of a sudden lower than I wanted it - GASP", there is no practical way in raising the temp without losing either one or more of the following:
- My grain bag, on account of burning a hole through it since I put my pot on high heat
- A half hour, since trying to heat up that much liquid in a managable manner is nearly impossible so I am wasting time going too high, too low, etc etc
- An eye
- My sanity
- another inch of my hairline due to stress

So you lose a degree or two? Who cares. Most of the conversion happens in the first 20 mins anyway, so your flavor profile is prety much guaranteed even if you lose 4 degrees in 60 mins.

Sure, some people have fancy schmancy brew rigs that control temps.... but this is BIAB, its simple and easy and the best way to brew in my opinion - do not bother overcomplicating the mash temp thing :)

jjones17 said:

If you COULD moniter your mash during your BIAB mash, and halfway through your mash your temp was too low - What in jeebus name would you do about it, and how the heck do you expect to improve it?

I mean come on - I have done 20-30 BIAB batches, never having monitered during my mash. I hit my target, it holds for 30 secs, I lid it and either wrap it in a coat/towel/sweater or stuff it in my oven. I lose around 1-2 degrees, woopie ding.

Now, IF my temp was "all of a sudden lower than I wanted it - GASP", there is no practical way in raising the temp without losing either one or more of the following:
- My grain bag, on account of burning a hole through it since I put my pot on high heat
- A half hour, since trying to heat up that much liquid in a managable manner is nearly impossible so I am wasting time going too high, too low, etc etc
- An eye
- My sanity

So you lose a degree or two? Who cares. Most of the conversion happens in the first 20 mins anyway, so your flavor profile is prety much guaranteed even if you lose 4 degrees in 60 mins.

Sure, some people have fancy schmancy brew rigs that control temps.... but this is BIAB, its simple and easy and the best way to brew in my opinion - do not bother overcomplicating the mash temp thing :)

I have had my mash temp drop during the mash and I simply fired up the burner and stirred while raising the temp. Of course I'm using a 10 gallon brew pot and a propane burner

- An eye
- My sanity

you can add boiling or chilled water to help adjust

Start the burner.

I have my grain bag about 1-2 inches from the bottom of the pot by way of the steamer basket that came with my kettle to which I installed legs to keep it from resting on my bazooka screen.

With my burner, I just crank it up for about 30 seconds to a couple minutes, usually about halfway through, though more often in winter. Usually does the trick, especially if you insulate. Either way, the mash still only lasts 60 minutes.

- An eye
- My sanity
I've got two eyes - how many do I need? Sanity has always been in question. Hairline has been in decline for about 10 years now.

For me, this really comes into play more in winter. I have an aluminum kettle, so heat loss is more of an issue. Admittedly, I don't generally insulate, which would help greatly.

Agreed, except where I disagree :mug:

I also use a steamer basket lined with my bag. I like to stir my grains twice during the mash. I have often found that the temp will change a little when I do this. Sometimes it rises surprisingly with only stirring. Like others a 1-2 minute flame from the burner combined with stirring maintains a constant temp. I believe stirring the grains helps with the sugar extraction though I have no proof of this. It definately helps keep a constant temp throughout the mash. I use a thermapen knock off made by taylor to check temps.

I heat 4.5 gal of strike water, pour it in a fermentation bucket, then add my grain bag, stir and seal. Halfway through the mash I add another gal of 162* water to keep the temp around 153*.

If my kettle was large enough to contain that volume I would just do it on the stove and keep the electric burner on 2 the whole time.

I heat 4.5 gal of strike water, pour it in a fermentation bucket, then add my grain bag, stir and seal. Halfway through the mash I add another gal of 162* water to keep the temp around 153*.

If my kettle was large enough to contain that volume I would just do it on the stove and keep the electric burner on 2 the whole time.

from personal experience making BBQ sauce.. leaving the electric burner on 2 for an hour or more will raise the temps to the boiling range.

Back