Minimum time to force carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewyourbrews

Reaction score
I know this is an age old question as we are all eager to try our new brews. I got a bit of a late start kegging the beer I had made for my super bowl party. What's the shortest length of time I can go and still have reasonable carbonation? It went on yesterday at 10am. Will it be ready by 6? (32 hrs at 30psi)

Here's what I do when I need to force carb in a hurry:

• Connect keg to C02 tank, purge air from keg by pulling the pressure release valve a couple of times
  • Set keg pressure to 30-PSI and leave overnight in keezer to chill
  • In the morning, keg is now chilled, remove keg from keezer and shake back and forth while counting to 100. You will hear C02 entering the keg as you do this
  • After shaking keg, drop C02 pressure to normal serving pressure (normally 10-12 PSI)
  • Purge excess C02 from keg by pulling pressure release valve on keg once or twice
  • Carefully pour a beer through the tap (the first one may come out a bit forcefully)

After doing the above I have a decent amount of carbonation and head on my beer after a total of about 14-hours.

Don't forget to set the regulator back to serving pressure (usually 10 to 12 PSI) when you're done shaking it.

You beat me to that advice so I'm deleting and giving you the credit for it.

I kegged first thing this morning. I'm hoping to have some carb in time for the Superbowl as well. I keep shaking the thing like every half hour and I have both valves wide open.

Back