PSA - Breaking Into A Garage In 6 Seconds...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
I got this in my email today. I do not do chain letters, but I thought I'd pass this on as a Publice Service Announcement (PSA)...

Breaking into a garage in 6 seconds

Potential crooks will no doubt see this but I'll bet they already know it. Everyone with a garage door needs to take this simple precaution before the bad guys start using this now that this is out for the education of the general public. Phoenix Police Officers name was removed.

Technology is so wonderful; how to break into a home in less than 6 seconds with audio/visual aids!!

Please look at your garage door

After our home inspection the inspector noted that our garage door had a dent in it. We were in the garage last night talking about it and trying to figure out how it got a dent in it. Finally figured out someone tried to break in. Then I searched you tube and found the below video. Please watch it. I took the pull string off of ours and zip tied the lever up to the slider. Now you have to cut the zip tie in order to release the lever.

Please pass on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=CMz1tXBVT1s

It's just as easy to walk around to the back of any house and throw a rock through a window.

Pretty loud esp. if you have double/triple glass.

I have bar locks on all my garage doors so no issue there. Also put a steel bar across the windows so you can't break a window and climb through.

About your best defense is an alarm.

Meh, doors only keep out the honest people. If someone wants in bad enough, their coming in.

the guy counting started after the wire was through the door and his second was two real-time seconds. This tells me two things:

1. Even slow people can break into garages

2. Those slow people will think they have more time to run away from my XD (and hb_99) than they really do.

:)

Thanks for the tip though.. I have that setup on my garage.. Zip tied!!

Meh, doors only keep out the honest people. If someone wants in bad enough, their coming in.

Agreed 100%. There are tons of youtube videos where people are unlocking doors with 'bump keys' in about the same amount of time and its way less noticeable as it looks like the crook is just unlocking the door.

bump keys are sorta a joke though. i got some and have yet to open one of my locks with them. picks are the fastest in my opinion when you lock yourself out of the house.

However, if anyone gets into the garage...my 9mm says they won't leave alive...;)

Guns are more trouble than they're worth in a home invasion. So what if you shoot the perp? The bullet might go through him and hit one of your carboys
:cross:

i'd like to see someone try to raise my garage door without an opener, the thing must weigh about 3 tons.

Not too many crooks that are 10 feet tall around here. But, windows in your garage door? Not a good idea.

If I could only remember to close the damn thing.

Mine open for no discernible reason. Considering that most of the locals don't even know my house exists, I doubt it's someone trying to break in. I do tend to forget to close the van's door when I return from a trip with the greys. They go out the back of the van and around the garage to the main entrance. I have to remember to go back out and close it. Someday, I'll stick a button in the corner, where I can hit it easily.

Back